Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent 2 days at the pool with my 1yo. We do minimal sunscreen for vitamin D exposure (we're brown-skinned) and it was HOT so the water felt great. I think she was a little over-exposed and now has a fever (axillary) of 99.6, which means a body temp of 100.6. She's still mostly breastfed so of course I've encouraged that, but she's been super clingy and fussy. Didn't eat much dinner but still very animated and wants to play outside, but doesn't want to read but when someone holds her, she doesn't want to be put down. Okay, here's the question finally. Does it sound like she just needs to stay out of the sun for a while and push the fluids or is there something more I should do?

Thanks for listening mamas.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Personally, I would watch the fever, push fluids and cuddle and not overdress. I am comfortable with fevers up to 104 or 105 and I have read that generally, the body is self limiting with fevers unless from sun stroke or poisoning, so I would definitely keep an eye on it and possibly for overnight, give a small dose of motrin to lower the fever some if she seems miserable (mainly, I treat for comfort not to simply lower the fever). Not all would agree. 100.6 is a low fever.

You should do what you feel most comfortable with. I would not do a bath unless it's a warm bath, which will feel cool to your LO because of the fever. A lukewarm or cool bath is a little too cool and would bring the fever down but it could also allow it to spike after the bath which isn't safe.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd keep an eye on the fever. Was it sudden on-set or it climbed slowly? Is it stable, or changes throughout the day / evening? Also, could she be teething?

Is she sunburnt at all?

From your description she doesn't seem to be excessively uncomfortable, but you have to decide this for yourself.

If it was my 1yo, I'd just keep her in a sling or on my lap and nurse a lot.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mamas. She's acting pretty normal except for the fever. She nursed at about 8 and went down for 2 hours, then nursed and has been down for nearly 3, which is normal for her. I did give her Tylenol at 8 and her fever was gone by 10. I'm definitely keeping her out of the sun for a while. We went twice today, in the morning, and then late afternoon, which I think might have been a bit much, so I'll make sure to pace ourselves in the future.

Thanks for your insights. I have all day tomorrow (and tonight) to cuddle and nurse her as much as she needs, so that's what I plan on doing.

·
Banned
419 Posts
If you don't want to use sunscreen, you can get a UV blocking sunsuit. We got Coolibar suits and matching hats for both our kids.

You want some vitamin D exposure but no burns or even much of a tan - skin cancer is no joke - and sunburns are not fun

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
How is your LO doing now?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's doing very well, thanks! The only difference I see in her now is that she sleeps for longer spells at a time, and I'm not complaining! She sleeps 2 very good naps in the morning and afternoon, then sleeps most of the night! Thanks for asking!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.