Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how I can treat conjuntivitis in my own eyes naturally? I have had it for about 2 weeks now, it isn't super bad, and my eyes are not pink. My doc said I had it, but just said something about black tea bags.( He got sidetracked talking about my severe sinus infection and ear infections, but that is another story!)<br><br>
Anyone know about how exactly to use the tea bags, and anything else that would help?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I just cured myself of a sty in less than 24 hours with chamomile tea bags!<br><br>
Your doctor is great if he/she was talking about using tea instead of going with antibiotics!<br><br>
Tea (and many other herbs) contains bioflavonoids. These help fight inflammation and both viral and bacterial infentions. Black tea is high in tannins, too, that are chemicals that help shrink swollen tissue (try using black tea bags on a black eye to help with the pain, swelling and colour. It works!)<br><br>
Boil about two cups of water. Distilled is better, but you can use tap water, too. Pour into a clean bowl.<br><br>
Add several tea bags (black is okay, but chamomile or green teas are better as they have fewer tannins) and soak them for a minute and then add enough cool water to the bowl to the point it is comfortable & warm but <span style="text-decoration:underline;">not</span> "hot" (you're going to out those bags on your eyes and you don't want to burn the delicate eye tissue - OUCH!!).<br><br>
I find the best way to do the following is to wrap a towel around your head so that no drips get into your hair!<br><br>
Gently squeeze out the excess water from a couple of the tea bags and lay them on your eye(s). Cover with a washcloth (keeps in the warmth and keeps drips minimal). Relax. When the bags cool, soak them, wring them, apply them. Do this for about 15-20 minutes at a time, 3+ times a day (more if you have the time!).<br><br>
If you find the warm water is not as comforting (after the first time you apply the bags), add more cool water to bring the water temp down to what feels best on your eyes.<br><br>
You can also use that water with a washcloth instead. But, the tea bags placed directly on the closed eye(s) feel wonderful, are softer & smaller and place the herbs closer to the problem!<br><br>
You can also make an herbal eyewash using Eyebright, Yarrow, Mullein, Goldenseal or Oregon Graperoot. These all contain something called Berberine. This can kill staph & strep bacteria (common causes of bacterial conjunctivitis).<br><br>
But the above method, using tea bags works well and is easier to find!<br><br>
Our son has made use of tea bags on bruised knees and my Mom (age 86+) has seen how well they work on the easy bruising that she has found comes with thin skin and aging. It is easy, cheap, smells nice and doesn't hurt. Best of all, it works.<br><br>
Hope you feel better soon. Let us know if this works!

·
Registered
154 Posts
i recently got rid of it by washing out my eye every 30 minutes with warm water and compresses. i used a clean washcloth each time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I love my Dr. He is an MD but has never given me anything but herbs and natural cures. One of the perks of living in Seattle is access to amazing people like him.<br><br>
I will try all the above... it is hard to make time for lying around with a VERY active 3 year old, but I will make it work.<br><br>
Love you Mothering Mammas sooo much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my mom swears by colloidal silver....it says on the back not to put in eyesbut I think its just a liability thing. I have used it too for an infection of some kind... I couldn't open my eye, and some people who had a persistant eye infection for years used the colloidal silver and it worked.<br>
Hope you get better

1 - 6 of 6 Posts