Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stop taking zoloft , I am having bad withdrawel symptoms, does anyone know of supplements or herbs that helps depression and withdrawel symptoms from zoloft??

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't think anything helps with the withdrawel but maybe some valarian or calming herbs. The thing I recommend for natural depression treatment is Omega 3 fish oil supplements, but they have to be high quality and you need to figure out just how much you need. Taking 3-4 pills a day of the good stuff can get somewhat expensive. St John's Wort has been shown to be effective but only with mild to moderate depression and takes just as long as antidepressants. You can't take both at the same time, I don't think.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I heard that benedryl helps (I don't know why) and also things that increase seritonin may be helpful.<br><br>
5-HTP (SP?) and tryptophan may increase seritonin but I am not sure..... My Effexor warnings say not to take this stuff when I am on it. I think because you will have too muchs eratonin and it can make you manic.<br>
St. John's wort supposedly helps with depression too.<br><br>
You may want to GRADUALLY go off this...meds are serious things ...i have tried to cut back and so far I can handle the withdraw...best wishes, Jennifer

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
<a href="http://www.truehope.com" target="_blank">www.truehope.com</a><br><br>
Everytime someone asks about MH issues, I always recommend this. I don't work for them or anything!! But I work for a government health department, and people are always writing to advocate how good this stuff is.<br><br>
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
5-HTP is the precursor to tryptophan which does produce seritonin, so that might be a good bet to try. I think it's the tyrosine in over abundance that will make you manic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I recently went off the Zoloft when we weren't able to afford it anymore, and I've been taking magnesium supplements. Just google "magnesium depression" and you should find lots of info.<br><br>
It isn't perfect, and I'm slightly moodier than I was, but I didn't crash hard like I was afraid I was going to (it's been several montsh for me now.)<br><br>
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Chromium, an essential mineral commonly deficient in the British diet, has been found to provide major relief for two thirds of depressed patients, according to a study published today. Researchers at Cornell University gave 117 people suffering from ‘atypical’ depression either chromium supplements or placebo. Two thirds of those taking chromium had significant relief of their depression, compared to a third on placebo.</td>
</tr></table></div>
<a href="http://www.laleva.org/eng/medicine_alternatives/orthomolecular_psychiatry.html" target="_blank">http://www.laleva.org/eng/medicine_a...sychiatry.html</a>

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have personal experience w/ coming off zoloft, but I have seen skullcap help others trying to come off of various drugs. It is an herb in the mint family that is very helpful in treating anxiety, mood swings, and the stress of weaning off a drug. I use it daily in teas for anxiety relief. St Johnswort is effective if used for at least six weeks, and may not be so helpful if you have more than moderate depression. Also, it works better if you combine it with other herbs. I'd recommend combining it w/milky oats, lemon balm, and linden blossoms. And I'd say def. try the skullcap. You can do teas or tinctures. I personally prefer drinking a lot of tea and incorporating the herbs into my schedule/diet that way. Maybe you should also make sure you are getting enough B vitamins, protein and calcium. In addition to all the herbal/dietary stuff, something that always helps me is making sure I get enough good sleep and a lot of really good exercise. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
I will also say EFA's though I would get a good liquid form. Carlson's is great. Supplement with B vitamins, magnesium (Natural Clam by Natural Vitality is wonderful) I also recommend Inositol which is a natuarlly occuring sugar, and a derivative of a b vitamin. It has been shown in clinical studies to be MORE effective than many SSRI's. I loved it and it's completely natural (although utimately it was homeopathy that helped me turn the corner.) Many mamas on this board have used it as well. I started a thread that was called, "a true natural remedy?" But I have no idea how to find it for you. Good luck mama. This is a hard road. You are not alone.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
There is a great book I got out of the library called "St John's Wort and Depression" I don't remember if that is the exact title, but I found it very helpful in explaning how St John's Wort works, what kind of dosages are used, and how it can be used in combination with lower doses of some prescription meds used to treat depression. I have been taking it for about two months now to combat some minor cyclical depression and I haven't noticed any side effects so far. It does seem to be helping, but I never got a clear diagnosiss. I've been self-medicating, and finally went to see a dr. today, because I suspect there is an addtional problem as well as the depression.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,<br>
I am not experienced with medication, but I will tell you what helps me.<br>
B-complex, vitamin C and omega 3<br>
I still wonder if I should be on medication some times but I do see a difference when taking these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts