Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had problems with migraines (since elementary school). I was doing great at the beginning of pregnancy - just getting the auras (sp?) - not the actual headaches. Now, however, I'm getting the bad headaches without the visual stuff.

I know that tylenol is "safe" (whatever) for pregnancy. But I #1 don't trust that and #2 have never noticed that it does much for me. I've been pretty good about avoiding most caffeine during pregnancy - I don't drink it much to begin with when I'm not pregnant. But I do know that it works to dilate the blood vessels in the brain and can help a lot with relieving the pain. So, instead of taking tylenol, I've been drinking 1/2-1 can of caffeinated soda that my hubby has around or making a cup of real tea or coffee for the same reason.

My question -

Am I right in my assumption that this is a better way of treating the occasional (read: 1-2 a week) migraine during pregnancy rather than tylenol? And I'm trying to keep up on water, too, because I know that that helps a lot.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
1/2 to 1 can of pop can increase placental calcification. I would quit drinking the pop and stick with the tea. Also, some teas can be diuretics, which cause you to lose hydration. When pg, your body really does need the extra fluids to help keep hydrated and cleanse the body of toxins.

I get migraines, too. What really helped was seeing the chiro. and using cold washclothes on my head and neck, or even a cold pack.
HTH

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've been having the same issue too; and laying down is just not an option in this house!

my 'cocktail' is this: one pint water (I've noticed that if I get even a little dehydrated it gets worse), one mug black tea, and if I can stomach it, a little bit of protein (almonds are good). It doesn't stop all the pain completely, but makes it more bearable...unfortunately Tylenol does diddly-squat for me too
:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've suffered from migraines and cluster headaches for years. I'm lucky- I don't seem to get them while I'm pregnant and have a long hiatus afterward BUT-- tylenol is not going to help since migraines are caused by the opposite of regular headaches-- your blood vessels expand with migraines which is why caffeine can help. Don't use caffeine at any other time though or you may find it to be less effective. Oxygen therapy may help as well-- talk to your doc about that.

Stay hydrated and rested.

Hubby (or whoever!) giving a good head massage helps as well.

Hang in there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.