Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to boost my sons immunity before and after his tetanus vaccination and while I am able to get chewable multi-vitamins and vitamin C, I want him to also take selenium and I can only find it in pill form. Its small and thin but he cant seem to swallow no matter how hard he tries or I explain to him how to do, plus I broke it in half and still couldnt do it, and then he tried chewing it and of course it tasted gross so now he really doesnt want to take them....AHH... anyways any tips anyone have for this situation? I really need him to take the selenium and right now he is refusing and cant figure out how to teach him to swallow them.... Also , the selenium is 100 MG anyone know if this is ok dosage for a 6 yo? Thanks for any input or advice you might have! Christine

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I don't know about dosage....<br><br>
The way I was taught to take pills, and the only way I can do it, is to fill my mouth with liquid, tip my head back, open my mouth, and drop the pill in, then close mouth and swallow. That way I never taste the pill, and it's already at the back of my throat in liquid rather than sitting on my tongue waiting for the liquid.<br><br>
Also, what about grinding it up and mixing it with something with a taste that will disguise it that he can eat? Peanut butter, or soup, or something else?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The way my dad taught me to swallow pills - and I don't remember how old I was - probably 7 or 8 - was he put the pill in a spoon full of jam, first I had to "practice" swallowing a spoonful of jam without a pill, then the one with the pill. It worked. Another thing he did was mashed up some white bread (soft white, Wonder-bread-like) and made little bread balls - he made 3 of them - then he hid the pill in one of the 3 balls without me seeing which one. The balls were small enough to swallow. I had to swallow each one of them, I could decide which one to do first and I had no idea which one had the pill in it. It worked! AFter that I could just swallow pills without anything else. They have to just get the hang of swallowing something hard and solid like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard of parent's trying to teach them to swallow a pill by using m&m's first. They might not mind trying with those first.<br><br>
LeAnn

·
Registered
575 Posts
A possible alternative to the pill is to give some ground brazil nuts in a cereal(or mix with a nut butter or yogurt).This is what I take myself and grind up in a coffee grinder for the kids.<br><br>
<<<Brazil Nuts<br>
Diet Nutrition & Brazil Nuts:<br>
Brazil nuts have about 2,500 times as much selenium as any other nut. Selenium is a powerful antioxidant which has been proven to protect against heart disease and cancers like prostate cancer.<br><br>
Brazil nuts high selenium content also discourages the ageing process and stimulates the immune system. In a study of patients with early Alzheimers disease, antioxidants - including selenium - boosted mood and mental performance. Like all nuts, brazil nuts are an excellent source of protein and fiber. Brazil nuts are high in minerals including zinc and<br>
magnesium, and contain useful amounts of phosphorous, copper and iron.<br><br>
Like all nuts, Brazil Nuts are high in calories and fat.<br><br>
Calories in Brazil Nuts<br>
1 oz/25g = 186 calories<br>
>>>>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts