Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By spicy I don't mean hot flavor, just with flavor, if that makes sense? I've googled some recipes but I really want something that someone has tried and would 'rate' for me. No fail so to speak.

I want to make some nut mixes for my mom for a Christmas gift as she is a nut fanatic. I'm thinking some almonds? Can you jazz up other nuts (walnuts?)too? She is more into savory than sweet.

Got anything to share?

~L.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
You can do any nut or seed, but some of them will cook faster than others, so if they're various sizes, it's best to prepare them separately and mix them once they're made.

One of my favorites is just to take the traditional chex mix mixture and toss it on nuts instead of cereal. Make it just the same way, but without the cereal.

If you want sweet, I used to do 1 egg white, 1/2 c sugar, and my favorite spice mixture (with a pinch of salt) on 1 pound of nuts. Toss the nuts with the scrambled egg white, mix the spice and sugar together then toss it all together. Bake at 325 about 20 minutes, stirring halfway.

My favorite sweet spice mixture:
1 t Ground Ginger
1 t Cinnamon
1/4 t Cloves
1/4 t Nutmeg
1/2 t Ground Cardamom
1/2 t Mace

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I just made roasted almonds for the first time yesterday. I got the recipe from allrecipe.com and it was very similar to Cristeen's, but with less spices. Her's sounds better, mine were lacking in the oomph department.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think I'll do a test batch of the sweet(thanks cristeen) for my family and then give it a go for my mom with the spicy recipe (thanks Jennaba) for the gift!

Anything more anyone has to offer I'm still open to suggestions.

~L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.