Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Late Wed night/early Thursday morning, I had to go to the ER because I was severely dehydrated and couldn't stop throwing up/other end, too (at the same time! HORRID!) I am almost 27 weeks pregnant. ER did not want to send me up to L&D, but apparently there was some fight and the charge nurse won, so we went to L&D since I am past 22 weeks and that's what the hospital protocol says to do apparently. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I could barely make it up there without puking/needing a restroom. When I got there, I started to throw up blood. They put the baby on those continuous fetal monitors (pink one and blue one) and of course baby was fine. They tried to get an IV in my left hand, but I was so dehydrated they had problems getting it in. They found one in the right arm. I had to keep unhooking the monitors and drag the IV pole in the bathroom with me. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The doctor that came in I think was a resident--she was not very confident. Everyone (several nurses, doctor) asked me the same questions. Since I wasn't in the hospital system, I guess the questions they asked are routine, including breast or bottle feeding. My gut reaction was, shouldn't you be at least encouraging breast from the get go? The doctor asked where I planned to deliver, and I said we are planning a homebirth. She paused, and I thought I was going to have to get ready to defend myself, but then she just moved on to an equally random question. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, the point of this post is that there is no way in hell I want my baby born at a hospital and I am even more happy with our choice to HBAC for this baby (first baby was a transfer from a birth center that ended up in a truly needed c/s). I just thought of all the mothers that were in labor who were kept strapped to those monitors and IV poles who had not had an epi yet who were just left to deal with contractions by not being able to move around, and maybe they didn't know there was another way out there to birth their babies without medical intervention. Some mothers think doctor knows best and feel safer in a hospital--well, not me, and my trip confirmed that even further. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did get my 2 bags of fluids and zofran in the IV, plus an Rx for zofran and phenergan. We were released about 4 hours later, and I've been resting a lot. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am in no way ragging on women who want or need a hospital birth--I am just happy that a good result of being in L&D made me realize I don't want to be there ever again. Earlier in the pregnancy I knew I had the option of considering a repeat c/s, choosing to do a vbac but having to have it in a hospital due to my birth center's regulations, or homebirth. I am really happy I have gone with homebirth. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And if I have to transfer, well, let's just say I already have a great therapist and won't feel like I failed! I'll just deal with it and cross that bridge if I get there. </p>

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
<p>Glad to hear you are on the mend & glad to hear your experience made you even more confident in your choice. I think it really is nice to feel secure & confident with the decision (I really feel confident in my decision to HB!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As someone recently wisely stated on another thread, 'At least if my HB MW, with a 5% CS rate, tells me I need a CS, I don't have to wonder if it's the truth.' Exactly! I think there's something to be said for having such confidence in your care givers.</p>

·
Registered
685 Posts
<p>I just wanted to throw some info out there but phenergen usually isn't recommended during pregnancy.  It's considered a category C which isn't the worst but it isn't the best.  I've seen doctors give it but our paramedic protocols prohibit us from giving it during pregnancy.  Zofran appears to be much safer.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>I am off it now and was only on it for just over 24 hours. Let's just add that to another reason I don't want to go to the hospital or be under hospital care during birth!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts