Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 children and am now pregnant with my 5th. I have had uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries with all of them. I want to have my 5th one at home but I am having a hard time finding a midwife for a homebirth. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
114 Posts
In New York (I live in Saratoga Springs) it's illegal for a midwife to assist at a homebirth. Your best bet is to look for midwives in Vermont who will travel over; there are a few of those lurking around. Occasionally, there are midwives who will do homebirths anyhow, but I only know of some near Albany, so that's not much help to you. :/

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My mother knows a women who is a mid wife I will ask her if she does home births I know she home birthed her children and assisted in her daughters homebirth I am not to sure what she is doing now though. Ohh and welcome to Mothering!! We WNYers are planning a picnic soon if you wnat to join in there is a Thread for WNY!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your information!! I would be interested in the picnic. What is the name of the thread or how might I find it. I am new to this site and have no idea how to find anything! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hi, NurseAndMommy! The thread we have going is "where did all the wnyers go?" and it's on the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania page, where this thread is.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princessenoire View Post
In New York (I live in Saratoga Springs) it's illegal for a midwife to assist at a homebirth. Your best bet is to look for midwives in Vermont who will travel over; there are a few of those lurking around. Occasionally, there are midwives who will do homebirths anyhow, but I only know of some near Albany, so that's not much help to you. :/

Are you certain? My friend had a homebirth in Buffalo. Eileen Stewart assisted.

http://directory.buffaloathome.com/M...0284.home.html

It was five years ago, maybe the laws have changed?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i think it might be illegal if a non-liscensed midwife assisted a homebirth in nys. (a midwife was arrested for this in syracuse about 10 years ago. she now practices in vermont.)
another mama on here (in ny) is planning on a homebirth with a midwife, so i dont think its illegal. and when i called dd's dr's office to ask to reserve a spot for our new baby, the secretary asked if we were having a homebirth.
i doubt a vermont midwife would travel from vt to buffalo for a birth. you might have the baby before she got there! plus that would be a bit of a road trip for prenatal visits!
i know there are 2 homebirth midwives in ithaca, but that's about 2+ hours from you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Quote:
Are you certain? My friend had a homebirth in Buffalo. Eileen Stewart assisted.
Eileen has retired from her midwifery practice.
There are currently no homebirth CNMs that I know of in WNY.

Homebirthing in not illegal in New York State, but only Certified Nurse Midwives can legally assist.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is not quite true that only CNMs can do homebirths in NY. One has to be a "LM" a designation that is unique to NY. There are a few CPMs (certified professional midwives; certified through NARM) who have also become LMs in NY. The NY state assoc. of licensed midwives has links to information about all this stuff on their website (NYSALM.org, i think). Also, NY Friends of Midwives has a yahoo group, and you may find more info from Citizens for Midwifery. It is NOT illegal to have a homebirth in NY! It is just very difficult to find a midwife in some areas.
There are several homebirth midwives in the Finger Lakes, and one that I know of in the greater Rochester area. I think she may travel to Buffalo, but I don't know that for sure. The Rochester Birth Network could give you referrals and contacts for her, other midwives and birth centers in the area. They have a website. (rochesterbirthnetwork.com).

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've heard from a reliable source that there should be a homebirth MW coming to WNY to serve the Amish population there. I don't have more details about this but I found this out from my MW within the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by imma2six View Post
I've heard from a reliable source that there should be a homebirth MW coming to WNY to serve the Amish population there. I don't have more details about this but I found this out from my MW within the last few weeks.
Maybe there's hope. I must find out about this mw of mystery. I wonder if she would serve the non-Amish population as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
here, and they DO attend non-Amish, as well, but they have to be VERY careful, as it is a felony to do so! I just had a homebirth with a wonderful mw, who is fully trained to be a cnm, but chose to attend hb's instead! Unfortunately, she just moved to CO! BUT, there are more

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
chautauqua county is rumored to having a new midwife...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts