Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas?<br><br>
My dd is 7 1/2 months old. She has been exclusively breastfed and loves every minutes of it. She wouldn't even look at a bottle, even if it had breatmilk in it.<br><br>
I tried rice cerel with breastmilk at 6 months - she spit it out, so I took a break, figuring that she wasn't ready.<br><br>
On summer excursions she helped us pick fruit and loved sucking on peaches and plums. Back at home I have given her pieces of fruit to suck on, but she chokes if she gets a chuck in her mouth.<br><br>
Trying to spoon feed her homemade pureed fruits and veggies is a nightmare! She doesn't understand the whole "spoon" concept. She would rather lick the highchair tray...<br><br>
I have also tried a sippy cup - she'll drink the fruits and veggies, but then they are watered down and it fills her up before she gets enough nutrition.<br><br>
She is crawling now and is very active. She seems hungry and frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas?<br><br>
much thanks,<br><br>
Ally & Baby Bella

·
Registered
567 Posts
Since she likes sucking on fruits but doesn't like the chunks....you could try the "Baby Safe Feeder" which is sold several places (go to rightstart.com if you want to see it online). Basically, it's a little mesh bag (with a plastic handle) in which you put a chunk of fruit for baby to gnaw on. The little one can lick, chew and suck on the fruit, but since the mesh holes are small, they can't ever bite off a big chunk and choke.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, my munchkin wasn't too interested in food at that age. In fact, it's only been in the past few months he's really started consuming a decent quantity of food. He was (and still is) very active, but if your dd is acting hungry you could try soft fruits, like banana or avocado. Instead of the spoon, try mashing the fruit up & then put some on your finger & feed it to her that way. Cooked sweet potatoes are nice too at that age. One thing my ds really liked before he was food-crazy was smoothies. That way she gets the fruit but without the chewing, which she may not be quite ready for. HTH

·
Registered
512 Posts
My youngest did not want solids. She was extremely active, walking by 10 months, running shortly thereafter. However, she wanted NO solids, not even the fruit. I trusted her and took her cues to heart. Finally at 13 months, she showed some interest. She remained big for her age, so I was probably able to follow her lead more easily than if she had been small. She has multiple food intolerances. I think her little body knew she could not tolerate some of what she would have been fed and that is why she did not want food early. Breastmilk is best. Food is for experimentation, learning, not nurtrition til later. Most babies do fine without solids for the first year. Some may not. I know with my two, the one on solids at 6 months was anemic at 9 months. The one not on solids until 13 months has never been anemic. Enjoy the nursing and trust her. She knows what she needs. She always will if she is allowed to trust her instincts. I know it is hard. I probably would have had a harder time had I needed to do it with my first.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Neither of my kids were interested in solids at 7 1/2 months, and were very active non-stop nursers. BY 13 months, they were both crunching up food- I skipped the baby food stage- too messy LOL

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all! It helps to hear that others are (or have been) the same situation.<br><br>
The babysafe feeder has also been a hit!<br><br>
Again, thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts