Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old (birthday today!) cousin is coming to live with my parents and younger siblings (my sister's almost 14 and my brother's almost 12). He has had a pretty rough life. My Aunt (his mom) was very troubled and into drugs like meth and alcohol. He was taken away from her a few years ago and our grandmother got custody and then last year she passed away. Yesterday my dad decided that Cousin would be better off living with them since it's quite a drain on my grandmother to raise a hyperactive troubled child. This way he'll have other children around and he won't be around my abusive grandfather.

Cousin was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Concerta (I think that's what my mom said) a year ago. My mom would like to wean him off the meds and would like advice about how to calm him down. I mentioned diet (my family eats a TON of processed and sugary foods...), but have no actual experience with ADHD. Any ideas of how to integrate him into the family and how to wean him off the meds would be much appreciated! I can give more info if you need it.

Thank you!
love and peace.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
This question comes up a lot, IMO - how to treat ADHD more naturally. I can't help with that because I have never seen it successfully treated naturally (that is, without putting an enormous additional strain on the family and siblings). But I wanted to suggest delaying making changes to his meds until he's been with his new family for at least a year or so. It will be a hard adjustment, learning to fit into a new family, and making additional changes during that time might cause really push him over the top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.