Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I do not know much about cloth diapers. I would like for my 6.5 months old to try wearing cloth at home. My theory is that they would let more air to his tush and cut down on diaper rash. Is that true? What would you recommend we start with? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My son was very rash-prone so I switched to using cloth. I have a bunch of Fuzzi Bunz (pocket diapers), and a few fitteds that I use with wool covers.

Some people like to mix up their collections, but we pretty much use the Fuzzi Bunz exclusively. I absolutely love them, and my son has had far fewer rashes in cloth than in disposables.

Fuzzi Bunz are very easy to get used to, because once they're stuffed, they're really just like disposables.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Pocket diapers are really easy to use. Very similar to disposables once stuffed and easy to take care of.

Fuzzi Bunz work great and are easy to find. If you find that you don't like snaps, you could also try happy heinys which close with hook and loop (velcro, but usually a different brand called aplix or touchtape) Be careful of the prints though, sometimes they wick.

In terms of amount of diapers you would need... it would depend on how often you want to wash. We have roughly 3 dozen diapers on the go with our 6.5 month old and wash every 3 days or so, however we use cloth all the time and you could definately get away with fewer if you washed more.

If you want to go for the cheaper option... prefolds aren't too hard to learn how to fold and you need fewer sizes (the premiums will probably take you from now through to potty training/learning) a 4-6 covers and a snappi or 2 and you'd be set. There is a bit of a learning curve with prefolds though. It's not like putting on a disposable and it can be more challenging if you have a wiggly baby.

We use both pocket diapers and prefolds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B'shert
Hi everyone,
I do not know much about cloth diapers. I would like for my 6.5 months old to try wearing cloth at home. My theory is that they would let more air to his tush and cut down on diaper rash. Is that true? What would you recommend we start with? Thank you so much.
Pocket diapers are great to start with for a number of reasons. It offers you a lot of versatility until you know what types of fabric you like to use for absorbancy without having to change your whole diapering system (if you bought All in Ones or prefolds with covers for example- both good systems however!)

Cloth diapers do cut down on diaper rash for a number of reasons. Some are more breathable, that's true. But there are so many chemicals in disosable diapers that kids react too. Plus many cloth diapers today feel dry against baby's skin, and the decrease in wetness prevents rash also :)

Hope that helps!! :)

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Pocket diapers are easy to use, especially for moms new to cloth diapering. We have quite a few Fuzzi Bunz and like them. Happy Heineys also makes pocket diapers, and Wonderoos are a one-size pocket diaper designed to fit babies up to about 30 lbs. The Wonderoos may be a more economical choice if you're looking to save money.

I'd suggest trying a few different types and seeing which you like best on your babe. You can try looking on the trading post, there are always tons of diapes for sale there and you can usually find a good deal.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Another one who loves pocket dipes here... 75% of DS's stash is Fuzzi Bunz and we use those most of the time.. but I love my fitteds and wool for him too but I only use those at home, not out and about yet.
DD's newborn stash is 95% fitteds just because I heard that they work better for itty bitty babies... with a couple FB thrown in there.. we'll see how it goes.. she may be a fitted and wool baby more the FB like her big bro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.