Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergreen
ok, here is a query- It is off topic but I am putting it out here first...

Does anyone have any experience with the Shettles Method or any other gender selection methods. Dh and I will be moving from CTA to TTC in August and today he goes for a blood test to see if he is a carrier for a certain blood disease. I got all this (not detailed, not scientific info from him who got it from his mom who got it from his sister...). Apparently his little sister has some blood disease that maybe genetic, it affects only females but men can be carriers. Therefore if dh is a carrier our daughter could have it. For this reason, we'd like to have a boy next to avoid the possibility of a disorder/ future pain etc; provided, of course, that this is what it is. I've been reading up on it and while some sources say it is very accurate others claim it isn't at all.

What do you think?

Here ya go...answer away!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am signing on to this thread. We definitely need to avoid pg for a long time. I NEED to be charting. We were pretty safe in that I had a good idea when I was fertile and would keep dh away
and we were using condoms during the other times. But dh has decided no more condoms and so, well, like I said, I need to chart! I have a good book, The cooperative Method for Natural Birth Control (I think), but I remeber wondering about the thermometer. Do you use a regular thermometer? You are taking the temp vaginally, correct?

Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO, it isn't a regular thermometer. It is called a basal body therm. You can get them in the same section as the normal ones. You can temp vaginally or orally. There is a disagreement as to which is more accurate. For me they are both the same.

Lots of info here, just wait for the other gals

As for me.... I have 5 condoms left that I have NO NEED FOR!!! We are good to go! So, this is probably the last thread I'll start. Who wants to take over for me? Anyone?

I can't believe we ahve moved on to jsut being our family, sex henever we want, no more temp taking or charting.... Ahhhh...it feels great! And our sex life has picked up...yes, I know you might be thining it isn't possible... :LOL

So, here ya go
I'm still going to pay attention this month but this is the last!

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Evergreen-- first off, I'm painfully curious-- I've heard of genetic issues which can happen only to women, and ones that can happen only to men, but there are *tons* more of the latter. Usually sex-linked traits are so-called because they're on the x-chromosome and therefore more likely to show up in men because they don't have another copy of the gene in question to counter the effects of the recessive. If it's not too personal, what are we talking about here?

We did successfully use the Shettles method (I think that's what it was called, anyway) to concieve BooBah; we had a little boy and wanted to have a girl so that we'd have one of each and not have to think about it for the next baby.
:LOL What we did was try to dtd 4 and 2 days before ovulation. It worked beautifully.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another month, another page... still not a heck of a lot of sex so I don't know why I bother sometimes...!

I just noticed that on Fertility Friend "i have been selected...." to try out the VIP stuff and they have these weird symbols that look like eyeballs... (sorry, only vaguely relevant).

Condoms that you have no need for ! aren't you lucky! No regrets?

I didn't feel my cycle was regular this time, I'm not even sure there was anything specific, just a feeling. Can thrush affect the cycle?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm on cycle #7, but I've just discovered this thread. In answer to the second poster's questions, I use a regular digital thermometer, and never even considered temoing vaginally (eww!). As long as you take your temp first thing in the morning before you move around too much or talk, or anything, and do it at the same time everyday, you should be fine.

Some things about temps that help me is to have a thermometer that beeps when it's done, so I don;t have to strain my eyes trying to see if it's done, and to have one with memory, so that I can come back and chart anytime of the day. It would also be nice to have one of those super fast ones. Mine takes 60 seconds and it feels like forever. Oh, and ear thermometers are not consistent enough to chart with.

I hope to learn lots of things from all of you more experienced charters.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm here TTA until my DD is at least a year old (October). I stopped the mini pill a few weeks ago and am now charting CM and CP. The plan is to abstain while fertile and use spermicide while not fertile just in case.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm still here too. I've been charting since L was 6 months old but no PPAF yet. Sooo, 7 months of charts showing absolutely nothing!
We don't know how long we're CTA--maybe another year, or forever, or until an accident happens... :LOL

About the Shettles method, I read the book before we TTC'ed L and it made sense to me. I can't speak about its success rate though. We tried to use it to get a girl the second time around but a way-early O caught us off guard. We still got a girl but not using the Shettles method LOL!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Oh, Megan! Thank you so much for moving my question here! THat was really cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by eilonwy
Evergreen-- first off, I'm painfully curious-- I've heard of genetic issues which can happen only to women, and ones that can happen only to men, but there are *tons* more of the latter. Usually sex-linked traits are so-called because they're on the x-chromosome and therefore more likely to show up in men because they don't have another copy of the gene in question to counter the effects of the recessive. If it's not too personal, what are we talking about here?

Honestly, I have no idea. Dh didn't get time to go in for the test today. I had never heard of a disease where men cam be carriers but only women are affected, still her doctor wanted to test all of her brothers to see if this is possible, she is the only girl in thier family. My mother in law is one of those 'doctors are gods' people, who doesn't ask questions or anything like that just does as they say and assume she doesn't need to know squat. Even if she did know the name of the disease she wouldn't etell me because that would make my life easier and we can't have that. So, until dh goes to a doc here and asks his own questions about it I am in the dark.

I see how gender selection works for girls, but it seems like it would be less acurate with boys.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergreen
Oh, Megan! Thank you so much for moving my question here! THat was really cool

no problem
I hate when I'm the lat to post ona month and then my question never gets answered!

I would think it woul dbe the opposite...easier to get a boy than a girl. A friend tried for months to get pg with a girl and they couldn't do it (they lost their first at 16 weeks...a girl...) and once they said, screw it, they got pg the first month with a boy.

We seem to get pg with boys too.... O day...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I'm still here. CD23 and hoping AF holds off until after my annual on Monday. We're thinking of finally breaking down and starting to temp instead of just relying on CM since my O signs have been less obvious the last two months. I may need a refresher if I do temp though. I haven't temped since I was TTC my first and she's nearly 5!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hi, all! I haven't been around on this thread before, so nice to meet you. Sorry I don't have insight on your gender question, Evergreen.

As for me, we've mostly used fertility signs (w/ some barrier contraceptives at times) since dd was born. I charted before she was born, but have always had boring 28 day cycles, w/ ovulation signs CD 14. Also we have sex rarely so charting hasn't seemed like a good use of time, lol.

But this month I'm confused! Hoping for some insight on what's going on... LMP was May 2. Had the CM I'd expect around May 16.
We had sex once right after my period, and once with a condom somewhere in the middle. I remember thinking the second one wasn't too wise since we're TTA, and I don't like trusting condoms.

So 28 days would've been Monday (May 30). No AF or signs of her AT ALL. My cycles only returned a year ago, when dd was two, but since then have been 28 days or 29-30 one or two times.

I still nurse and all week my nipples are *killing* me, more than the usual when premenstrual. Don't feel pms bloating, cramps, nada. (I thought when pg w/dd that I felt pms-like though?) By Thursday I thought maybe I felt a little nausea, although I also was feeling so anxious by then w/no AF I think I could have been imagining things.
By Friday the worry was too much, and I bought a HPT, took it, and got a clear negative result. I was very surprised - was so sure I was pg by that point.

Here are my questions: at CD 32 would I be likely to get a negative if I am pregnant? I didn't take it first thing in the morning. Also I don't have much experience w/tests - this was a store-brand EPT. Now I'm kicking myself b/c I didn't buy two! We're not only way too broke to have a second baby (our income is mainly from my work which I couldn't do with a baby, or even while pg really), we're too broke to by HPTs! :LOL I know we'd get used to the idea, love the new babe, etc., but I'm not quite there yet in my head, kwim?

*sigh* Any thoughts? Sorry to barge in looking for advice the first time! I wanted some thoughts from those of you who are thinking about these things a lot too. Thanks!

mb

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
hey all.
still CTA here, and will be until next May or so. i'm on cd9 and my temps are seriously wacky. ds still nurses during the night, but i was fairly certain as long as i didn't move around much and was sleeping i should get accurate temps. am i wrong? we're using condoms so i'm not too concerned about an accident, but i hate the thought that i'm temping and checking cm for nothing if accuracy is not likely. :LOL fwiw, last cycle my temps did indicate ovulation and the arrival of af.

mb, i would *think* that at cd 32 (w/ovulation around cd16) that you'd probably get a positive pg test. are your temps dropping or are they staying high?

ime, the store brand tests are pretty trustworthy; they tend to pick up a very small amount of hcg. if i were you, and my period didn't show by midweek next week, i would scrounge up the money for another hpt. if it's still negative, but no af, i would consider calling my health care provider.

hth.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have one I could mail ya but it would take a day or 2 to get there. I don't need it.

I would think if you tested today you would get a positive. BUt isn't uncommon not to...

I'm lots of help

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thank you, ladies, for the support! Of course, after i wrote that post, I went to a meeting today for something I'm beginning that would be a big commitment, and wondering if I should turn it down because of being pregnant and all.... and when I go to the bathroom at the meeting - you guessed it!!

:LOL Well, I've been scared straight! The thermometer's going back on the nightstand tonight. No more lazy guessing months for me.

Can anyone tell me if there's a site where I can print out pages for charts? I used to have a whole bunch I'd photocopied from the time I brought my thermometer. Don't know where to get more. Guess I could make my own but I liked the preprinted chart!

thanks, mb

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a question that hopefully you will have an answer for. I have been on the Minipill for about 2.5 years now (my dd is 3 yrs) old and am really not enjoying the side effects it is giving me... my cycle is all over the place (my cycles vary from 12 to 73 days now!) and I am still bfing my dd and would like to go med free. My dh and I are thinking that we will ttc next winter but I'm planning on stopping my pills within the next couple of weeks and and would really rather not get pregnant before then.

We are planning to use condoms all the time for awhile until I can get the hormones out of my body and (hopefully) get on some form of a regular cycle. How long will this take? I'm guessing it will take more than a month but this is pretty new territory for me...

Thanks!
MizLiz

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Just subscribing to the thread. MizLiz--is that you Liz? It has to be, cause we were just talking about this when you were over with the cookbook! BTW, did you want me to order that other cookbook for you through work? If so, just LMK! Did I get you hooked on MDC :LOL ?

Anyway, despite the wierd ovulation last month, we're still good here. I think last month was a wake up call to remind me not to take things for granted. I've been so regular since starting to chart that I was getting lazy! Also made me realize that while I talk and joke about not minding an accident, I really would rather have another year or two before havin another one, KWIM?

Alison

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.