Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (28 mo) has an ingrown toenail that has become infected at the base of the nail. It started looking infected last Thursday/Friday, drained a little bit and looked better, then started looking infected again yesterday.

I have been giving him extra vit C and soaking his foot in epsom salts, also using green clay and echinecea (sorry wrong spelling) post soak.

I took him to the Pediatrician today and he gave me a script for Augmentin (sp?) for 10 days, though he thought I might be able to get away with just soaking. Said it was better not to take chances. Then he gave me a speech about Tetanus (for an ingrown toenail???Give me a break!!) since my son is not vaxed.

Anyone have any rec (homeopathic esp.) that I could try before resorting to antibiotics?

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I have read that filing the middle of the nail so thats its thin and can buckle will help relive the pressure.

I personally use H2O2 on toenails that I have gotten infected.

Poor little kid

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure how you mean...can you describe the nail filing a bit more? There dosen't seem to be any pressure under the nail, the swelling and redness are to the outside of the big toe, and the redness extends a bit beneath the cuticle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I have been using hydrogen peroxide but didn't think it would help much since there is no opening to the site of the infection. One other thing I tried was grated potato (rec to me by my MW for mastitis) to try and draw the infection out. Only did it once so far, may try it again tonight.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I haven't gotten to try the nail filing bit as I haven't had any toe problems since I read it, figures

Its the side of the nail that pushes down and cause ingrown nails that along with not trimming nails correctly. Filing the down the center of the nail makes it thin so the pressure instead of pushing down into the the toe buckles the nail instead.

Clear as mud
:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, it drained on Friday. When I applied the H2O2 it bubbled up etc as expected. It looked good for about 2 days, then yesterday was red and swollen again, but with no drainage. Now when I apply the H2O2 there is no bubbling, so that is why I am assuming there is no longer an opening...???

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
File laterally across the toenail. Not at the top where it's white, but straight across the top. My understanding is it doesn't help relieve the pressure, but causes the nail to grow in to where it's thinner.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does clipping a V into the white of the nail cause it to grow differently? Won't the edges of the V snag on socks etc?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Clipping a v in the white of the toenail does the same thing that the filing does. For my babe, it wouldn't work due to her size and how short her toenails already are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts