Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS (17mo) had started protesting carseats very strongly a couple of months ago. So by the suggestion of some of the mamas on this board, I tried to make it more about him getting himself in. It took some time, but it worked. Most of the time he sits himself in now and puts his hands in the strap. (Gave me new realization to how important instilling empowerment in a child is)
Anyways, today was a different story. I took him out for a bit and it was very hot outside and it was a couple hours past his naptime. I knew he was sleepy and hungry so I figured I'd nurse him and then go home. We got in the car (which was scorching), I opened all the windows (even tho it didn't help because of the lack of wind) and nursed him. Then I asked him to get into his carseat and everytime I did he signed for "milk". Soon he just wanted to stick his head out the window and look around so I just let him for a bit (I didn't really have anywhere to go)
Then my head started swimming, it was really too hot to deal with. I was hungry and tired, he was sleepy and I tried everything I could think of to get him to sit himself in the carseat.
I ended up forcing him in
He was soooooo upset and cried halfway home until he fell asleep.
I have been thinking all day what I should have done different. Then I thought someone on MDC would have a great suggestion

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I wish I did have a better solution! I think its amazing that he ever gets into the carseat by himself. I've been working with our DD (18 mths) for months on this same thing and the carseat is still a battle. You've done a wonderful job.

Things are different when they're so tired. I think you did what you had to do. Hopefully this was just a one-time thing due to tiredness, and not anything you will have to deal with on an on-going basis.

·
Registered
788 Posts
He's too young to understand any long term consequences, like getting in means he gets to go home. I'm not big on reward systems, but maybe if you have a very difficult day, have a treat or toy availabe. Don't make it a big deal, just a toy that he gets to play with when he's in his seat. Maybe a toy that stays in the car only?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I actually would have gone in the othe direction given your situation at the time, nurse then say "it's hot mommy is tired and hungry we need to go home, do you want to get in your seat or do you want me to help" Give him a minute put him in his seat and go.

I think consentual living is wonderful and something that should be strived for but given his age and the situtation I wouldn't have tried that hard.

Like the op said, if you want other ideas, toys just for the car, a special car cd (for when you are buckled in and moving), my kids are currently liking their own lunch boxes of snacks (not me just giving them snacks).

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Could it have been some practical issue like a very hot carseat? My DD is older and can tell me its too hot to sit in, but yours might not be able to do much more than fuss. But the buckles and the seat do get very hot and if he has skin that is touching it may have just been physically uncomfortable for him. I've found that I have to cover the seat when I leave the car during the summer and keep an old towel in the car to do so. When I forget the world gets very difficult. Even if the seat wasn't too hot, he may just have been uncomfortable in the hot car. No real answer, but maybe some insight into why today was different.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I just turn the car on (with heat or cool air on), climb in the backseat to nurse and lock the car doors. No differently than if dh were driving and parked in the parking lot while he ran in to buy some groceries real quickly. We'd sit there and nurse until ds was asleep (or settled), help him into the carseat and then go home.

I also always carry snacks for myself and ds, water in the car and a cooler with sippy cups for any outing. I learned the hard way not to leave home without it. Car toys, music help too. We also have a DVD player for long rides, it is a life saver and worth every penny.

We also carry Rescue Remedy where ever we go and it helps all of us. Ds will ask for it occasionally even. I also cover the carseat buckle with a blanket (when I remember) which does get hot. Oh, and I try really hard not to push past the too tired to negotiate when out point (mine OR ds's) and leave 'whatever' for another day.

HTH, Pat

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mamas for the suggestions. I did used to try to give him something to play with just to distract him, but that had stopped working a while ago. Hence, the new approach of letting him get in on his own. (BTW, BC I would let him stand in his carseat and then eventually he'd slink himself down in the seat and I'd lift the strap and he'd put his arm in - sort of made it a game...in case you wanna try that for your DC)
It might have been that it was just too hot. I don't think the carseat was extraordinarily hot but I can imagine just being uncomfortable because of the heat. Next time it's like that I'll try to keep the AC running and keep a towel on it after we leave.
I do give him snacks, but when I'm the only one in the car, I usually don't leave them with him because it ends up making a huge mess in the car...and I can't stand a stinky car. What kind of snacks do you pack for your DC scubamama?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts