Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am mother to a 4 year old and a 22 month old. I breastfed my 4 year olf until he was 2 then stopped with his agreement. I plan to carry on as long with my daughter. She is a very different child to my son and we have co-slept since she was born. I put her to sleep in her room on a  futon then I join her when she wakes up the first time.  Whereas my son would wake 1-2 times to be fed and go back to sleep in his cot, my daughter waked 4-5 times next to me demanding to be fed. It wasn't really a major problem until she fell over a few weeks ago and chipped her front tooth. Now, feeding her is very painful and I have a wound on my nipple and was not healing where her tooth is rubbing. I ahve tried different positions etc, but it only works for short, infrequent nursing sessions. I was still ok feeding her with 4-5 hours in between, but not every hour like she was demanding at night sometimes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't want to wean her completely as she loves being breastfed and neither of us are ready. I want to feed her last thing at night, first thing in the morning and at naptime. But not through the night. My husband and I have started nightweaning her together, and I just want some second opinions that I am not damaging her with the process!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have explained to her that she can have milk when she goes to sleep at night and then again in the morning. We are now on night 3 and she was very very angry the first 2 nights when she woke up. She screamed, cried, pushed me away and would not be comforted by me. Luckily she has accepted my husband going to her and does fall back asleep eventually with him. She woke 3 times the first night and twice last night. Both mornings I fed her at 5:30. She seems fine in the day, not clingy or moody with me, She does want more cuddles in the day, but in a postive way rather than being clingy and worried.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would really appreciate anyone else with experince of nightweaning giving some positive encouragement or sharing any good ideas! Thanks.</p>

·
Registered
101 Posts
<p>That sound very difficult for both of you.  I have no experience in weaning as both my sons were self weaned.  I wonder if it might not be a good idea to take her to a dentist about that chipped tooth.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts