Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some news clip this morning of peaceful pregnant mom and children scenes, animals giving birth, soft music, etc., and really enjoying it, when without warning the scene changed to a c/s (music still played). I then had a full blown panic attack. Fun! I was so angry, and so in that moment so full of hatred for the doctors in the film, regardless of circumstances, that I could not stand it. I was just wondering if anybody else has trouble keeping their emotions from overwhelming their rational brains in these circumstances? Do you even have to "zip your lips," as my elementary school teachers used to say, to keep from saying a lot of very horrible things that probably aren't even accurate? I just felt like I was under a tidal wave of rage and I don't think it's healthy.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sometimes I will see a birth scene in a TV show, movie, etc., and I just want to comment. Like I really want to tell somebody "that may look alright, but it might really suck for that woman. That might be the most painful moment of her life, or the most scary, or most degrading. It might be hell for her at that moment, no matter what music they are playing or how everyone else looks. Even the mom might be smiling through the pain." Clearly, I have issues. Mostly I just try to avoid the whole labor imagery thing and thereby avoid my emotional response.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, lunarlady, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Actually, though, your response sounds perfectly reasonable (much more so than mine!). I think you are very right to remind people, nicely, of what else may be on in a birth scene. I just have to work on the niceness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.