Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my DD weaned at one year, but DS does not seem interested at 13 months--I feel very uncomfortable about nursing a toddler, any hints on a gentle way to wean him? I am anti bottle , he eats food very very well, but he does not seem to be able to sleep without nursing, I think in the long run this may be detremental and I would like to go out occasionally sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts

He is still a baby.....

How often does he nurse?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
can you tell us more about why you feel uncomfortable nursing....physical discomfort, lack of sleep, social pressure, annoying nursing behaviors, etc.?

My dd self weaned at 26 mo, I tried to gently wean her earlier, 16 mo, 18, 24 mo but each time the whole process made us both miserable so I don't really have any tips. What did help was to specifically address the problem behaviors. Night weaning , assigning a designated nursing spot, setting limits on innapropriate nursing behaviors for example.....

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Free Or Die
my DD weaned at one year, but DS does not seem interested at 13 months--I feel very uncomfortable about nursing a toddler, any hints on a gentle way to wean him? I am anti bottle , he eats food very very well, but he does not seem to be able to sleep without nursing, I think in the long run this may be detremental and I would like to go out occasionally sometime in the near future.
Why do you think that?

DD nursed to sleep until she was ready to give it up and I have never seen any detremental side effects. A need met is a need extenguished.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
13 months is barely a toddler... he's a baby and still needs you! Your milk and the nursing for physical, nutritional and emotional reasons! I think maybe just practice bf'ing in public more and you'll be more comfortable? I don't know, I never thought twice about nursing my son. Not when he was a 4lb new born and not now as a 30 lbs 27month old!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Free Or Die
I would like him to learn to sleep on his own, depend on me less-but I am not comfortable with CIO. I work part time (financial necessity) and my Dh has a very hard time with DS.
Perhaps we could help you to figure out ways to fix the solution outside of weaning?

For example, what is your goal with getting him to fall asleep on his own? Is it because you work nights and cannot be there to nurse him to sleep? Is it because you are afraid if you continue nursing him to sleep he will never be able to get to sleep without nursing? Some other concern?

When you say that DH has a hard time with DS what exactly do you mean? Putting him to sleep? Does DS just show a strong preference for you and that hurts DH's feelings? Will DS not go to sleep until you come home?

You mention that he cannot sleep without nursing. Do you mean he can't get to sleep or he can't stay asleep? Does he ever go to sleep without nursing? How are naps? Are they a problem or only night time?

You mention wanting to get out in the near future. For how long? How often? Do you mean that you are uncomfortable being out with DS in public because you do not want to NIP? Or that you want to be able to go out with friends/DH and not worry about DS wanting to nurse while you are gone?

I am not trying to insist you keep nursing, it is just that sometimes people have so little experience with nursing toddlers (I know I sure didn't know a nursing toddler until I had a child of my own) they tend to blame any problem on the nursing. And some "problems" are really a function of nursing, but many are not and can be solved/lessened/reframed without weaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.