Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some background:

I conceived my first after 2 months of coming off of birth control. Had a normal pregnancy. Went on our babymoon at 35 weeks and started contracting. I had baby at 35 weeks and 4 days! I was SO close!

Now that we are trying to conceive again, my midwife mentioned the thought of doing progesterone shots to help the pregnancy go longer. I had no underlying infections, no placenta abruption, just went into labor. I am very natural minded and have an issue with just going along with something. What are the chances of having another preterm baby if I don't take progesterone? I am healthy and just randomly went into labor with my first. No reason to be found.

How have you ladies made a decision on yes or no? I am reading a ton of studies, none of really valuable on whether it is a definite help or not. (because of test subjects, some had placenta abruption, infection, etc.) I know a lot of people have successfully used it and had full term babies. I just don't know if not taking it and taking the chance of another preterm baby is worth it. Or taking it, not knowing if future side effects will happen, and having a full term baby

I am not even pregnant yet and this is completely stressing me out! HELP!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I can't tell you anything about chances, but I followed my mw's advice and took progesterone supplements throughout my pregnancy with DS (who I carried to 39+2!). My levels weren't that low (we tested quite frequently) so I was able to use suppositories rather than shots, which might be another option if you're looking for a compromise of sorts. I still wonder whether it was really necessary, but of course in hindsight I'm glad I did it because all turned out very well :) Good luck with your decision!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts