Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple who want to ttc as soon as possible, but have decided to wait until after their summer vacation in August 2009 because the woman doesn't want to be pregnant while they are away.

Im trying to think what I would do in that situation myself. I know you can't go on an aeroplane once you get to 7 or 8 months or something? But I don't see how it would be that big of a deal if you were 2, 3 or even 4 months pregnant going on vacation to another country.

I guess it would be better if you didn't have a pregnancy bump yet, and it was too early for morning sickness to start, so myself, I probably wouldn't want to be any further than 2-3 months pregnant at that time.

What do you all think about this?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Quote:
I know a couple who want to ttc as soon as possible, but have decided to wait until after their summer vacation in August 2009 because the woman doesn't want to be pregnant while they are away.
That seems strange to me that they want to ttc asap but they are willing to wait until after next summer so it doesn't mess with their summer vacation plans. I mean that's 8 months from now. It's their decision though.

I'm waiting to ttc until June and I'm having a hard time waiting at times

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends on the person, but two years ago, dh and I went to Holland to visit his family at Christmas, combined with a week-long ski holiday in France. I was just 4-5 weeks pregnant at the time, and this was fine. But then dh headed home and I flew on to Cairo for a business trip for two more weeks, and it was miserable. I was thrilled to be pregnant, the timing (I thought) was perfect, but I felt much more lousy than I imagined at 5-6 weeks pregnant... in a foreign country, where I couldn't just eat whatever I was craving, due to availability and water sanitation. I survived, it wasn't horrible, but in the future I will definitely not be planning trips to such destinations at a time when I hope to be pregnant. Two years out, I still can't stand the taste of hummus (which used to be a favorite), and the very thought of beans (which we had every morning for breakfast!) still turns my stomach. Everyone's different though!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I can see her point... what if she wants to drink? I wouldn't want to chance being tired and nauseated either.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Agreed... it depends. I travelled a lot while pregnant, and didn't have any issues at all; but I was fortunate enough to have an easy pregnancy. There are definitely some things you cannot do at certain points in pregnancy, so if they were going abroad to rock climb, sky dive, spleunk, scuba, etc., then getting knocked up certainly changes your vacation plans.
Depending on where you're going, sanitation and food safety can be an issue, as is plain ol' stamina to go out and see everything you want to!

So all that is to say tha teverybody's different.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
eh.. I wouldn't want to be pg on a big vacation I had looked forward to for years... but I do have a friend that was 4-6 weeks pg when she went to Italy, and another friend that's spending a month in Germany in her second trimester (she's there right now having a grand ol' time).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Depending on the nature of the vacation and how long I had planned for it, I wouldn't want to be pg either. I got sick at about 4-5wks and wouldn't want to feel like that on vacation. I did go to Mexico at 6 months and although I was okay....I was still TIRED, had to watch what I ate/drank, couldn't drink, and only realized later all that tropical fruit was doing a number on my heartburn!! I could really understand why they want to wait if this is their first. Who knows when they'll go again?!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It would depend where I was going. Europe, fine, Thailand... maybe not. I'd want to try the local foods and not have to worry (as much) about getting sick or trying to communicate in a foreign language to ask exactly what the ingredients might be. There are a lot of foods that I love that aren't recommended in pregnancy, like raw seafood or dishes made with raw eggs.

Then of course, there's the alcohol factor.

What's the hurry? She'll have the child for the rest of her life, after all.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think it really depends on the nature of the trip, but I traveled up until I was 5.5 months pregnant, and then I stopped because I didn't have more trips planned, and not because I had too. (Although lugging a suitcase through Heathrow all by myself at that stage made me pretty miserable, I'm not sure that was pregnancy-related.)

If it were me, I wouldn't describe myself as wanting to TTC as soon as possible if my plan was, in fact, to wait another nine months so I could take an optional fun trip. I mean, I get that you might want to scale Everest, or go scuba diving off the Great Barrier Reef, and that those are good reasons to postpone pregnancy. It's the use of the words "as soon as possible" in those situations that makes me scratch my head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.