Mothering Forum banner

Would you / have you given birth over 35?

• Yes, I'd love more children if it happens.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No, the "what if's" scare me even though I might want more.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I am already TTC or pregnant and over 35.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes, I'm "older" but I've done it (would do it again)!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, been there, done that (wouldn't do it again).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Still praying/thinking/researching/confused/wondering.

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a roller coaster ride it has been with deciding whether and when to have another baby! There's so much to pray and think about and I'd love to chat with others about the hopes, "Are we crazy?", apprehensions, pro's and con's, joys and overall experience that is our life right now.

Somehow I woke up and all of a sudden I am 37 and know that I'm considered to be of "advanced maternal age"...what in the world?!?! We have a 9yr old DS, 7yr old DD and are just starting to TTC our 3rd after our Angel Baby in 2012. I'm hoping for at least one VBAC (water/home/natural/calm) after 2 C-Sections.

What age ranges/gaps do you have or hope for? How many of you have relatively older children and are starting back at "square one?" Are you on your first and just starting this journey?

Let's talk! :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time around

Hi there,

I'm 36 and trying for my first. I'm naturally obsessive but find I have become more obsessive now. I worry about my age and whether I will be able to conceive, how long will it take, what if I want more children later on, I consider all the health issues, everything. It's really hard

·
Registered
408 Posts
Honestly, I think there is a lot of misinformation out there about women's age, birth, conception, etc. Women over 35 make up a very large portion of the overall maternity rate- much more than they used to. I bought into the scare about my age (41), but after a lot of research found out that there weren't that many additional concerns- unless you are less healthy than you used to be. I had thought my age would place me out of a home birth, but it didn't at all. I ended up passing on genetic testing, but did get a second trimester ultrasound to make sure everything looked okay. Most of my fears were completely unfounded.
That being said, there can be additional concerns if your FIRST child is born after a certain age, but not usually if you have had other children. Besides that, every pregnancy is different and the biggest difference I've noticed is being more tired than before. It's been 13 years for me!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok....can I retake the poll and submit a different answer? I didn't read the choices correctly and would have chosen "over 35 and TTC" instead of "I'd love one if it happens".

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I put still praying/thinking. I have a 10yo dd who would LOVE to have a sibling and I wanted 3-4 kids total. Unfortunately my marriage was to an abusive (verbally, mentally, financially) man and I am now single. I will be 45 in June. I also had an surgery for diverticulitis to remove my sigmoid colon before becoming pregnant with dd and worry that the occasional flare-ups that I get in my remaining colon could become a problem with a baby taking up space inside. I'm really working on getting my diet adjusted so that I stop having the flare-ups at all (maybe adding a probiotic? I don't know.).

I have started tracking my cycles using the Kindara app and a mercury thermometer but I'm only on my second cycle. So far, so good. Last mom showed a fairly steady lower temp before ovulation, fairly steady higher temp after ovulation, and a nice long luteul phase. I'm hoping all of those trends continue.

I've saved some money for a few tries of ICI, but it's got to happen pretty quickly if it's going to happen. I hope to be able to try in August using 2 vials, then September using 2 vials if needed. The money may be gone after that. Having to pay for the parts ain't cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts