Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mummas!

Am th new kid on the block here :) and just have a few questions for those of us ttc and pregnant!

My fiance and I are going to start TTC on our honeymoon (in 6 months)- what did you do to prepare you body for pregnany and trying? I have booked in to see my Doc this coming Friday to chat about going off the pill and some other medications I am on.

Also am going to ask him about prenatal vitamins.

How long before TTC did you start on prenatals? I have read that apx 4 months before is around the best time?

Any advice would be super handy! Am very excited!

Sandy
joy.gif

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
prenatal vitamins are great weather you are ttc or not, so take em whenever you want! haha but you are right about the 4 months, the iron and folic acid need to already be available in your body by the time you concieve.

i would also get a bok called Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. and a month or 2 before you start ttc, check out fertilityfriend.com and start charting your morning temp.

good luck!

-viv-

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thank you.

Also I wanted to know long long before you ttc did you all go off the pill?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I second the starting of prenatal vitamins asap. They are recommended for all women of "child-bearing" age as many of the positive effects of folic acid occur before most women even know they are pregnant. I also got back into exercising, nothing major, but tried to stay active and condition my body a bit more as it's best not to start any NEW exercise regimens while pregnant, but usually safe to continue what your body is used to. Getting into the habit of eating healthful foods is a good thing as well. I also second reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." It's amazing (and quite sad) how much women and girls are NOT taught about their bodies, and this book is a treasure of information whether you choose to chart or not. Basically, I made a lot of little lifestyle changes to help me become healthier overall, whether pregnant or not.

As for the pill, I had been off it long before ttc. I've heard recommendations of 6-12 months, but there are some women who become pregnant right away. It sounds like you're off to a good start as you're researching all you can. Congratulations on the upcoming marriage... what an exciting time!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
wave.gif
Welcome to MDC!! And congrats on preparing yourself for TTC!

I agree that prenatal vitamins are something you should start right away. They're just vitamins with some extra folic acid so there is no harm in taking them when not pregnant. And as ISISandOSIRIS said, they are recommended for all women of child bearing age b/c you never know when you might get pregnant and you want to build up your stores now. I take Rainbow Light one a day prenatals which you can usually find a your local natural food store.

Getting off the pill is something you'll want to do ASAP if you want to TTC in 6 months b/c you really have no idea how long it will take your body to regulate again. Some women get pregnant ON the pill and others take up to a year to normalize again. Definitely use back up after stopping the pill. I also second the recommendation from Vivica to read TCOYF and start charting your temp and cervical fluid. While it certainly is not necessary for everyone, it is really interesting, fun, and helps take the mystery out of what is happening with your body while TTC. Plus it can help you spot potential issues with your cycle and literally show you your body's post-BCP regulating process.

There are a few other threads that have been started about how to prepare to TTC. I'll try and track them down and post them here...

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1312204/preparing-to-ttc-wwyd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.