Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for info on Maca and saw that there was one once (2009).

I'm going to be starting this as soon as my order gets delivered (ugh, it's "on the truck" whatever that means).

I'd be happy to start a new thread if anyone is interested.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
I searched for info on Maca and saw that there was one once (2009).

I'm going to be starting this as soon as my order gets delivered (ugh, it's "on the truck" whatever that means).

I'd be happy to start a new thread if anyone is interested
.

I think that'd be great
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay! Well it looks like it might just be the 2 of us... LOL.

So my Maca came today and I start with 1600mg, and I'll take another 800mg before bed. I bought Peruvian Naturals organic maca. I hope it's not crap, I got it on Amazon...

I'm on cd12 right now but probably won't ovulate for a week or two--
 

· Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
I am using Maca as well. It has almost been a month. I am not sure that I can actually say that I have noticed much of a difference.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
finnegansmom, hope it's not crap too
good luck!
jennmk13, welcome and

Ojazzy1, hope you see some improvement soon!

here's my chart http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/188af4

I'm on CD80 and have only been on the Maca for almost 2 weeks. I'm taking "Now" brand 2000mg. I'm hoping it will balance some things out and shorten my cycles. For now, all I've noticed is a little more energy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
I'm In
This is my first cycle using maca. I've noticed changes while using it already.
What kind of changes? I took it last night a little nervous because I've read some women get sick to their stomach but no issues with me at all, although I woke up a full hour earlier than normal raring to go. I hope it gets my cycles on track, they've been a diaster since last july.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
What kind of changes? I took it last night a little nervous because I've read some women get sick to their stomach but no issues with me at all, although I woke up a full hour earlier than normal raring to go. I hope it gets my cycles on track, they've been a diaster since last july.
Mostly I've noticed that I have A LOT more energy. I have hypothyroidism which I'm treating naturally, but the thyroid is one area of the body that maca affects. I defiantly think that it's helping. I haven't had my thyroid tested since I started taking maca, but it would be interesting to see if it's made a difference in my TSH numbers.

Last cycle I started taking Vitex as well which seemed to prevent me from O'ing this month at the regular time. I stopped taking the Vitex and then O'd 2 weeks later. I think that once I stopped taking the Vitex the Maca jump kicked my body back in gear which allowed me to still O this month.

I haven't had any negative side effects while taking Maca, however when I was taking the vitex I did have upset stomach and I had headaches EVERY day.

The reason that I used the vitex was because it helped my get pregnant with DS, but I think that my body is just in a different place now and doesn't need it which is why I reacted so negatively it it.

The maca has been wonderful!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
Mostly I've noticed that I have A LOT more energy. I have hypothyroidism which I'm treating naturally, but the thyroid is one area of the body that maca affects. I defiantly think that it's helping. I haven't had my thyroid tested since I started taking maca, but it would be interesting to see if it's made a difference in my TSH numbers.

Last cycle I started taking Vitex as well which seemed to prevent me from O'ing this month at the regular time. I stopped taking the Vitex and then O'd 2 weeks later. I think that once I stopped taking the Vitex the Maca jump kicked my body back in gear which allowed me to still O this month.

I haven't had any negative side effects while taking Maca, however when I was taking the vitex I did have upset stomach and I had headaches EVERY day.

The reason that I used the vitex was because it helped my get pregnant with DS, but I think that my body is just in a different place now and doesn't need it which is why I reacted so negatively it it.

The maca has been wonderful!

That's interesting about the vitex - I was thinking about taking that as well. I'll see this cycle through without it and see what happens. How long do you think you took it before noticing anything?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
How long do you think you took it before noticing anything?
The Vitex? About a week, I think.

I just wanted to mention another newly realized benefit of the maca… BFP!!!!

I just got it today at 8dpo. I really think that the maca helped.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
can u girls tell me about maca? what is it supposed to help with? what brand and dosage do you recommend?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
The Vitex? About a week, I think.

I just wanted to mention another newly realized benefit of the maca… BFP!!!!

I just got it today at 8dpo. I really think that the maca helped.
I meant the Maca, LOL! How long...

Congrats on the BFP! Wow!

Oh I'm taking Peruvian Naturals organic from Amazon, the pills are 800mg but I take 3 a day in the morning. I'm not ready for the powder, I hope the pills are OK to take.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

Oh I'm taking Peruvian Naturals organic from Amazon, the pills are 800mg but I take 3 a day in the morning. I'm not ready for the powder, I hope the pills are OK to take.
I might be in the minority here, but I Looove the powder. I just mix it in a bit of water and drink like that. It has kind of a nutty or malty flavor.

I started out just taking the maca at my foods co-op to give it a try. When I knew that I would continue to take it I ordered it from Maca Magic. It's possible that it is fresher this way. I'm not sure how fast the co-op goes through it so it may be sitting on the shelf there for a while.

I take 1 tsp. twice a day. I started at 1/2 tsp. twice a day and worked my way up.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
The Vitex? About a week, I think.

I just wanted to mention another newly realized benefit of the maca… BFP!!!!

I just got it today at 8dpo. I really think that the maca helped.
congrats
 

· Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
Hey ladies, I am really struggling with knowing how much to take, and kind of struggling with whether to keep taking maca, so maybe somebody can give me some opinions.

I have extra long cycles, like TxMom2..I am on CD 68 right now. However, that is even longer than normal for me. I typically have about a 35 day cycle when things are going right (no stress,no extra weight on me, etc) but sometimes it can be up around 40-50 days a few times a year usually.

I started taking the Maca in January. I can't help but wonder if somehow it has delayed my ovulation even further.

I was taking 1500 mg per day, (3 capsules) but then I realized I have terrible insomnia when I take it in the evening..so I have cut back a little and stopped taking it after supper. So now I'm taking 1000 mg per day. Is this enough? Too much?

I'm feeling so discouraged because I heard all these wonderful things..and I feel like it hasn't helped me, except for giving me more energy.
I don't feel like my libido has gotten higher.
My CM hasn't changed..but I didn't have a problem with CM in the first place, just a problem with sometimes anov cycles or really delayed O.

So, it gives me energy. But it is making my reproductive problems even worse?

If you were me, would you change the dosage? Keep doing what I'm doing? Quit entirely? I know I have read you should try it for 3 months. But seriously, at this rate, that might be just a cycle and a half!!!

I don't know what to do. Anybody else had issues on maca?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lilmom - I've heard from a few places that the dosage should be 2000-3000mg daily.
I'm taking 2400mg right now.
Which maca are you taking?
I haven't heard people having issues with delaying O, usually the opposite (which is why I'm taking it).
Also, I take all my vitamins after breakfast, never at night. I think I sleep better that way.


** BTW - I changed the thread title.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
Mostly I've noticed that I have A LOT more energy. I have hypothyroidism which I'm treating naturally, but the thyroid is one area of the body that maca affects. I defiantly think that it's helping. I haven't had my thyroid tested since I started taking maca, but it would be interesting to see if it's made a difference in my TSH numbers.....

I have hypothyroidism as well (taking 150mcg levothyroxin.) I just had my TSH levels tested yesterday, so we'll see if it affected my levels.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Lilmom - I've heard from a few places that the dosage should be 2000-3000mg daily.
I'm taking 2400mg right now.
Which maca are you taking?
I haven't heard people having issues with delaying O, usually the opposite (which is why I'm taking it).
Also, I take all my vitamins after breakfast, never at night. I think I sleep better that way.


** BTW - I changed the thread title.

Maybe I should take another pill or 2 (500mg each)? I'm taking 2 in the morning and 2 in the evenings right now

Thanks for the thread too!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmk13 View Post
I might be in the minority here, but I Looove the powder. I just mix it in a bit of water and drink like that. It has kind of a nutty or malty flavor.

I started out just taking the maca at my foods co-op to give it a try. When I knew that I would continue to take it I ordered it from Maca Magic. It's possible that it is fresher this way. I'm not sure how fast the co-op goes through it so it may be sitting on the shelf there for a while.

I take 1 tsp. twice a day. I started at 1/2 tsp. twice a day and worked my way up.
Oh my goodness I don't think I could take the powder, I actually dry heaved today when I was taking my pills, I need to chase them down with a doughnut or something, just awful....I can't imagine taking these pills when pregnant...uggg.

Perhaps if I mixed the powder into a can of chocolate frosting it might be OK, LOL...
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top