1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 kids...where has my toned tummy gone
:
Of course I know
Now a year on I want to do something about it. I don't exercise more than lots of walking and activity with my kids.
I've lost all my weight by doing nothing special. I think just good genes. BUT my tummy needs some serious work.

What have you done to gain and maintain a decent tummy?
Need a little motivation

TIA

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I caution you about Pilates -- avoid the movements that involve any jacknifing kind of movements. No crunches where more than your shoulders come off the ground, etc. Do NOT do the "Pilates 100"!

It's tough. I know. Now that I've had a baby and have a diastisis to deal with (not a horrible one, but it's there), pretty much my entire ab workout from before baby is down the drain.

Use good posture. Focus on keeping your bellybutton pulled back toward your spine as much as possible. You need to work the transversus abdominus -- not the rectus abdominus -- to regain a flat tummy. Good movements are pelvic tilts, pelvic raises, and simply sitting up nice & tall and pulling in your bellybutton a lot.

Another good core worker that doesn't bulge your tummy out more (like crunches will, since the put the rectus in a worse position for post-baby tummies) is to face the floor like you're going to do a pushup, but support yourself on your elbows. You can just hold this position isometrically (pulling your bellybutton toward your spine, of course!) or alternate lowering your knees slowly to the floor (don't touch the floor.. that's cheating!).

Read the book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" or information from Helen Byrne about postpartum abdominal work. You can have good intentions and start doing mega crunches, but just make it worse if you don't educate yourself on what's changed with these muscles. The "Mummy Tummy" workout is lengthy, so kind of unrealistic for moms without nannies
, but the principles are good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trisha~ I've never tried Pilates. I'll have to go and see what a class is like.
Megan~Thanks for the warning. I know you have to be careful but did't know the extent. I know it's going to take time. Having these ideas will be a good start. I'll try and find that book at my library.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Why can't you? There are some really good instructional DVDs, and once you learn the basics it's very easy to use them all the time. Sholder shimmy while you sit at a stop light, belly roll as you watch TV or while you sit at your desk at work, undulate around the house, shimmy while you stand in line at the store. Honestly, even if that's all you do for exercise and it will still make a noticable difference in your condition.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Tangential thought... my MIL (the former nun! seriously!) does bellydancing. She also teaches it sometimes, especially at church retreats for a "Women of the Bible" kind of thing. When I was in Iraq last summer, I bought her two bellydancing belts at the bazaar on Camp Liberty...best Christmas present EVER. Anyway, it's a neat facet of her life. I'm intrigued by it and would love to try! I might have to check out some of those tapes you're talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts