Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 4 month old cries often when we have tummy time. It is not because of being down. It seems to be out of frustration. Sometimes it is lite crying sometimes more serious. My question is let her cry and continue "working" or pick her up because she is crying. I don't want to teach her to give up but she is still so young.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would most definetely pick her up, it isn't going to teach her to give up. Lots of babies hate tummy time and really as long as the baby isn't laying flat all day long there is no need for it.
Doctors started telling parents to do tummy time because of the back to sleep campaign and lots of babies were getting flat heads from laying on their back all day.

Carrying, holding your baby counts as tummy time.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
A few thoughts. My ped told me at my DD's 2 day old visit that we need to be giving her five 15 minute tummy times a day. To me, this just seems excessive and is evidence of America making yet something else into a race, a competition...a race for development. I think that our culture today tells us all of these things that we must do to make our children develop properly, when the truth is that our parents and grandparents didn't make us do tummy time, and yet we developed upper body strength, didn't we? Plus, my DD doesn't have five 15 minute awake periods where her little tummy isn't full of milk that will come right up if I put her on her tummy!

I do occasional tummy time with my now 3 week old DD, and she only likes it if we make it fun. We have a fuzzy, bright colored rug down on our tile floor, then put her on it, with a mirror (she loves to look at herself), and we get down there with her too. That way, even if she is fussing, she knows she is not alone. This prevents her "eh, eh, eh"-ing from becoming all out crying. I don't know if we are doing it the 'right' way, but my mommy instincts tell me it's not worth it to let her cry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My daughter hated tummy time as well...always whined and fussed. We never forced it and didn't even do it every day like we were 'supposed' to. Lo and behold, once she figured out how to roll over, she didn't mind it so much. I just figured it was a normal progression of her development. Once she could do it herself, she was cool with it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bwing counts as excellent tummy time as it helps develop the same core and neck muscles (and babies seem to hate it much less than they do tummy time on the floor).

·
Registered
789 Posts
If your baby is unhappy and crying, pick her up. Unless your baby spends *most* of the day laying on her back on a hard crib mattress or the floor, then you really don't have to worry about tummy time at all. Assuming you're holding, carrying, wearing your babe, she's fine. Don't make her hate it more by not honoring her cries to get off her tummy. It's hard work.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thought to add: you could try using a bolster pillow or foam wedge (like those triangular reading pillows) to help her out - this way, her arms and head can hang off the edge, but the rest of her body is supported, and she's at an incline. If you have toys or mirrors or something below, she can grab at them, instead of using all her energy to try to lift her head and torso up, which is exhausting and frustrating.
Also fun is using a round foam bolster, which you can use to "wheelbarrow" her by holding her legs and rolling her back and forth on her tummy.

Or, lay on your back and let her have tummy time on your chest - you're much more interesting and fun to look at and hug than the floor.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I have never "done" tummy time at all, and my babies have been absolutely fine. It isn't a necessity unless you have your baby lying on her back a lot. Which, if you're here, seems unlikely. So go ahead and pick her up!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not wanting to advocate leaving a baby to cry, but I do think there's a difference between "I'm frustrated" and "I want mommy or daddy". My 4.5 month old has tummy time all the time, not because we put him there, but because he Will Not stay on his back for more than 30 seconds without flipping over. On his tummy he tries very hard to wriggle, and gets frustrated that he can't crawl yet. So he gets fussy sometimes. If it's an "I need mommy" fuss, I pick him up right away. If it's an "I wish I could crawl" fuss, I try and talk to him for a minute or two to calm him down, and will then go pick him up if he's still fussy. I don't think those couple minutes of frustration (while I'm talking to him the whole time) qualify as neglect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My DD also doesn't like tummy time much, but I still put her on her belly occasionally during the day, just for a change if she has been on her back or reclining a lot. I've discovered she likes it better if she is supported by a Boppy or other pillow, or even a rolled towel, and she likes it better if I give her a spoon or rattle to play with too. Another thing I do sometimes is lay on my back and kind of "airplane" her laying on my shins, holding on to her on both sides. She loves this! But, like pp said, I don't really think "tummy time" is such a big deal if you wear or carry your baby a lot, and yes, responding to cries by picking up the baby or changing the situation is usually the best thing to do.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
We never did tummy time.. DS hated being put down period, and it never really occured to me to lay him on his stomach while awake. He did sleep on his tummy at that age, though. He has met all milestones early, when he was ready. If she is crying, she is upset and should be picked up, IMO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agree with PPs - pick her up, you're not going to teach a 4 month old to give up by responding to her when she's upset.

My DD actually just started not completely hating tummy time in the last few days (she's 6 months tomorrow and has been rolling onto her belly to reach for toys when we're playing on the floor
). Previously we tried it now and then to see if her opinion had changed but never forced the issue or let her cry. I hold her enough that it wasn't a concern for me.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Pick her up. DD does the same thing--so I give her like 1 minute every now and then, and pick her up before she gets upset. Just letting her know that its okay to be on the tummy...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Not wanting to advocate leaving a baby to cry, but I do think there's a difference between "I'm frustrated" and "I want mommy or daddy". My 4.5 month old has tummy time all the time, not because we put him there, but because he Will Not stay on his back for more than 30 seconds without flipping over. On his tummy he tries very hard to wriggle, and gets frustrated that he can't crawl yet. So he gets fussy sometimes. If it's an "I need mommy" fuss, I pick him up right away. If it's an "I wish I could crawl" fuss, I try and talk to him for a minute or two to calm him down, and will then go pick him up if he's still fussy. I don't think those couple minutes of frustration (while I'm talking to him the whole time) qualify as neglect.

I agree with this. There is a difference between "I need mommy" and "I'm frustrated" fussing. Tummy time helps build strength in their neck, back, arms, & tummy too.

ETA: Also, we did tummy time in the late afternoon when DS was fussy anyway. If he was going to fuss, he might as well burn some energy too!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
My DD hated tummy time, so we never did it (although she wanted to sleep on her tummy
)

She much preferred to have me hold her on the floor in a sitting position or prop her up that way. As a result she was sitting independently by 3 months, crawling at 5.5 months, standing without the aid of anything at 7.5 months, and taking steps at 8.5 months. I hardly think it hurt her development.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my DS fusses sometimes during tummy time, too. i think it's probably normal for a lot of babies, especially those like DS who like to be able to see everything going on. being put on their tummies narrows their line of sight quite a bit! i didn't know that bw did the same thing as tummy time, and that's good to know

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Never did one millisecond of this new fangled "tummy time". The more I read about how miserable babies are, the happier I am that I never read a parenting book that told me I should do it. LOL!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
We didn't do it. DD hated it so I just figured it wasn't her thing. I knew that someday she wouldn't hate it. Now that she's rolling she'll spend a bit of time on her tummy without protest. It's all about what she wants! I'd say it is really only in the last couple of weeks that she likes it. Still not for long. I'm of the "if she's really protesting she's not ready for it" camp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
I agree with this too. I had my daughter on the (clean!) floor from the beginning, as there is considerable Asian influence in our household. I learned quickly to tell the difference between frustrated-at-being-immobile cries and PICK ME UP RIGHT NOW cries. I hung out on the floor with her most of the time, encouraged her to move and even helped when she was kicking her legs by putting my hands behind her feet and showing her how it felt to move. As soon as she was independently mobile the frustration went away.

Definitely trust your instincts and listen to what your baby is telling you. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts