Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to our new ped the other day-we just moved. While I was there I inquired about calcium for my 2 1/2 yr old dd...she is hardly nursing any more-doesn't drink milk-rice,, soy or cows, isn't a big cheese eater and eats one yogurt a day-so I know she needs more calcium.

He said that I should give her one Tums a day and that would do it....

That just doesn't feel right to me somehow...does anyone know why that wouldn't be a good idea??
or if it is ok, please let me know that too!

Thanks!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I found a good kid's calcium supplement at Costco, Gummyvites Calcium sour gummies or sth like that. I cut them in half before I give them to dd (just to be safe). She loves them.

I would be wary of using Tums as a supplement. Doesn't it have aluminum in it, or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, it seems like it would be so chalky for her.... I tried the Gummyvites supplements and they tasted pretty good. Not very sour really.

oops just went to take one actually LOL and noticed I put the wrong name, they are actually Lil Critters Calcium Gummy Bears.

http://tinyurl.com/a96rw

They had a bottle of 200 at costco for about 9.99 I believe

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! That was my feeling too! We have the sour bear calcium supplements, but she really doesn't like them...I'll keep looking for another one!

She doesn't eat leafy greens-we are just now getting her to eat peas and green beans-but that's pretty much it for veggies!

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornflake girl
I'm pretty sure that Tums are made from calcium carbonate which is undigestible by humans. It just passes right through. If you need a supplement calcium citrate is a much better choice.
Calcium citrate causes me all sorts of digestive issues unless I take it with magnesium. Just an fyi to look out for tummy aches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.