Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok for toddlers? if so how do you choose the lowest mercury content? Or is this something that you just skip? I didn't think DD would like it at all but I made a tuna sandwich for myself the other day and I think she ended up eating like half of it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
MMMmmm... we're tuna eaters (seafood eaters as a whole) here... tuna's one of my kids first foods, it's so easy to eat!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't give tuna to my ds. They have a sign at our co-op in front of warning against giving it to children and preganant women-I think there is a certain number of ounces per week you shouldn't exceed.

I love tuna though and I remember reading that the light tuna has less mercury than albacore.

Heres just one article I found but if you google it, there are lots to choose from.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Funny that I saw this thread just now… I've just finished giving dd lunch of pb&j and myself a tuna sandwich and she asked for tuna too. I didn't make it for her because I didn't think she'd eat it (going through a very picky phase here), and because I was worried about the mercury content. When she asked for it, I gave her a half a sandwich, but sure enough she didn't eat more than a bite or two. It is an issue I'm concerned and a little confused about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
no amount of mercury is safe in my book...why risk it??? its a known neurotoxin - in a little brain that is growning everyday that is not a good combo. there are hundreds if not thousands of other healthy things to feed yourself and your child.

i had my last bite of anything tuna 6 months before I tried to concieve my son. i'm coming up on 3 years next month... yes I miss it, I LOVED tuna, but it's just not worth it to me. Mercury is dangerous stuff.

·
Registered
262 Posts
No tuna for us either. Though I used to love nothing more than a tuna melt on whole wheat. I just substitute chopped chicken and make chicken salad when I get a real hankering. Mercury is just too scary for me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Beside the pouches and cans of tuna in almost every grocery store is the red pouches of pink salmon. It is not much more and tastes almost the same to me in tuna salad. Oh, and it looks just the same as a can of tuna inside (maybe a little pinker). To be honest, my son doesn't usually eat it so I haven't research the nutrition value, etc, but just another option.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
OT, but farmed salmon is pretty funky in its own right. correct me if i'm wrong, but pretty sure it's excessive PCBs from the feed.
canned tuna isn't supposed to have nearly as much mercury as a tuna steak, ahi, etc., but i'm with the pp's...and won't feed my dd mercury laden foods. if she chooses later in life to eat these foods, then that is her free will, but at this age i have to make the best choices i can for her and feeding her something that proven harmful isn't something i can justify.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The evidence is ambiguous as to whether the neurological benefits of the oils in tuna outweigh the harm from mercury. It's possible that, at least with canned light tuna, one would come out ahead. But not certain.

Just an answer for those who asked "why risk it?"-- because some feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
The evidence is ambiguous as to whether the neurological benefits of the oils in tuna outweigh the harm from mercury. It's possible that, at least with canned light tuna, one would come out ahead. But not certain.

Just an answer for those who asked "why risk it?"-- because some feel the benefits outweigh the risks.
Yup. New studies released within the past 6 months confirm that.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=54754
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/press/re...s10172006.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another option is any white fish with mayo. DD loves this, she had it for dinner last night. I snuck in flakes of Kale and onions. Not exactly a sandwich, really. I just take bread, ball up bits of fish with my fingers (checking for bones) and dip in mayo. Then pop it in her mouth. You can buy organic mayo or veganaise, but the taste is VERY similar, and if you go with a white fish (Tuna is not a white fish) like trout, sole, etc., you're having a very healthy lunch. We are not giving tuna, though she's tasted it. This really is the same deal, and it's a LOT fresher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.