Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Aww man! I wish I could go too. I haven't even thought about doing anything... I think I'll just stay home and listen to music with the little one. Perhaps wear all black.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I don't know anything about Turn Your Back on Bush, but I have heard something about "Don't Give A Damn Dime" day on Jan. 20th. Is anyone doing that?

Oops, I had it wrong. I just did a search. It's called: Not One Damn Dime Day.

Anyway, Turn Your Back on Bush is a very interesting concept. Hmmmm, I wonder how it will turn out.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:
I hope these folks don't get hurt during their quiet protest.
The organizer on "Turn your back on Bush" was on NPR the other night. He was suggesting to be calm, blend in, etc... He advised: "Dress like a republican, whatever that may be." :LOL

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ain't spending a penny today and niether is one of my friends or my cousins family. But I think it's even more important to make a lifestyle of non consumerism if we are really going to make a dent. Easier said than done

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
If it turns out to be big, I wonder if the news will cover it?
There was lots of protest last time, not that you would know it from having watched the news! I really debated driving up to turn my back, but decided not too. We are going to a local event tomorrow, though.

Michael Moore has lots of inauguration info.

United for Peace and Justice has local event listings, too.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Got any sign ideas Be11ydancer? I think I'm going to make one for myself that says something like, "my family values peace, health care and education", but I'd like to come up with something cute for my son as well.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I don't really know. I was thinking my 4 y.o. could hold a sign with just a big peace sign on it. Maybe I'll make her a flag. She would love that. As for me, I want something kind of clever. I have a friend coming over and we'll be making signs together.

OT: I was at my mom's and they were watching Fox News
. There was a feature about the inaugural ball and how everyone will be wearing boots. The bad part was that everyone is getting boots custom made and the more exotic and rare the leather is, the better. :ignore

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBabiesCome1st
Turn your back on Bush

Is anyone planning on Turning their Back on Bush on Jan 20?

Or do you know of any other protests?
This is really PATHETIC

Maybe the people who are going to be involved with this type of thing or those who will protest should MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY.
Amy

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyandelle
This is really PATHETIC

Maybe the people who are going to be involved with this type of thing or those who will protest should MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY.
Amy
Today President Bush will swear to uphold the Constitution as part of his duties.

Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Assembly are part of the Constitution.

Perhaps you have some reading to brush up on.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I know I'm in for the fecal storm by saying this, so I'd like to preface my comments by expressing my utter despite for George Bush and all his fascist ilk.

That said, I have to wonder what the point is, really, of not spending anything and wearing black.

First off, I honestly doubt not spending a dime will have any economic impact at all.

If it miraculously manages to have an economic impact, the people who are most likely to feel it will be the people who work for lower-paid jobs. Like if you decide not to go to a restaurant today, the people who'll be hurt include the waiter working for tips, the busboy working for minimum wage, the cook working for minimum wage, the business owner, et cetera -- and my guess is that those folks are probably not among Bush's big supporters.

As for wearing black...How would that really affect Bush at all? Would he even care? Would any of them gve a crud? Would anyone even notice?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people can do what they want, protest how they want, that's fine, but it seems a better use of time and energy to start working for a Democratic victory next time 'round -- get voters registered, do volunteer work for political groups in the area, and so forth.

Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.