Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you turn the heat on in your house? Do you wait until it reaches 68 degrees or 55 degrees in your house before turning on the heater? It's 64 degrees in my house right now and we have not turned on the heat. We are *freezing*
Can you tell we live in FL and have thin blood?

I'm trying to hold off as long as I can before using the heater.

Would space heaters be cheaper to use and how safe are they? I'm thinking of getting one for our bedroom because even with the heater turned on the bedroom stays VERY cold. It's the way our duct work is in the house.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
You might want to look at the website www.michaelbluejay.com He's got a lot of great ideas and information and can answer the questions your asking.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
We have a small ceramic heater, bought at Home Depot for around $25. It's a fabulous thing--you can turn it high or low, or either setting with a thermostat. It warms one room very well (a bedroom or living room, for example), and we use it when we are downstairs at night (our bedroom is upstairs and stays warm all the time). We've used it for several years without a noticable difference in our electricity bill. It allows us to keep the heat on pretty low (we're in Georgia, so I understand the thin blood, and low is relative to those folks in sub-zero weather
), too.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We live in an older house, and have forced electric heaters in each room. The amount it would cost to plug in the space heaters runs about the same cost as heating with the forced air. We keep it pretty low though. We just put on more layers (sox, l/s shirts. ect). I spent every summer in Florida growing up and can uderstand the thin skin. But our bodies get used to the temp., and we just went to stay in a hotel a few weeks ago and were practicly sweating from them keeping it on normal heat. We even had to open a window in our room to get it to what are bodies are now used to.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
It's 64 degrees in my house right now and we have not turned on the heat. We are *freezing*
Can you tell we live in FL and have thin blood?

I'm trying to hold off as long as I can before using the heater.
I'm in Tallahassee and we're 'freezing' too! We have had the (gas) fireplace on at night and sit around it reading or whatever. Then when we go to sleep, my 2 daughters have been sleeping together (3 and 11) and dh and I snuggle up too! I'm tempted to turn on the heat. I have a cold and so I feel the cold weather that much more!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Goodness you guys! I live in Canada and we have an inch of snow on the ground and I've only turned on my heaters on once. Ok, well, I live in an apartment building and our neighbours help keep us warm. We're sheltered from the wind so it doesn't get too cold. I plan on putting plastic on my drafty bedroom window too.

Plus, I wear a sweater in the winter. Whenever you go somewhere (like work/school/store/friends) you never know if it will be chilly or not so I always have an extra layer just in case. The idea of heading out the door with just a T shirt and winter coat gives me the shivers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We did not have snow yet - just a couple of snow flakes here and there and some frost in the mornings. But our heat is still off. We were sweaters, make hot chocolate and hot Tea, or bake in the evening hours (that warms the kitchen and makes it soo nice and cozy) and take warm showers in the morning. Overnight temperatures are about 56 in the house right now, but it warms up, when we make coffee in the morning on the stove. We don't heat to more than 65 anyways.

One of my best advices is, if you get chilly in the house (or outside as well), were a hat - it keeps you warm. The body looses a lot of its heat via the head!

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to say out of everyone I've asked that lives here, we are the only ones who have not turned on the heat. I was surprised by that.

I agree with extra layers. I refuse to pay for heat so I can walk around in a t-shirt and shorts in the house. My family has been complaining and I tell them to put on clothes! I've pulled out the winter clothes and slippers. Wearing robes over pjs has helped. We also pulled out our lovely down comforter. I need to buy two more for the kids because I wake up with them under my comforter. I feel like an Eskimo family.

The worst though is when you're in the process of getting dressed or when you get out of the shower. BURRRRR. That's why I was thinking a space heater in the bathroom maybe. You get warm in the shower and the chill sets in as soon as you step out of it.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
We just turned on our heat yesterday because it was below freezing outside (18 degrees last night). Usually I don't put it on until it's too cold to get out of bed in the morning, because it's old electric baseboard that costs a bazillion $$.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I guess I'm the thinnest skinned in the land--I have the heat on at night to 72 degrees and we're still freezing! Sometimes I turn it on during the day when my two year old wont keep her clothes on, much less her socks!

We're in Florida too so keep in mind that a month ago I had my AC on everyday set to 84 degrees so it may take us a couple of months to acclimate to the temperature drop!
:

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
I guess I'm the thinnest skinned in the land--I have the heat on at night to 72 degrees and we're still freezing! Sometimes I turn it on during the day when my two year old wont keep her clothes on, much less her socks!

We're in Florida too so keep in mind that a month ago I had my AC on everyday set to 84 degrees so it may take us a couple of months to acclimate to the temperature drop!
:

I hear ya! My AC was set at 86 degrees so 64 degrees is turning my fingers numb.
My 2 yr old runs around naked all the time as well. I have a heck of a time keeping clothes on him so his lips don't turn blue. Why is it children don't notice when they're cold?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I second the hat idea, and slippers really help too.
The thing with those ceramic space heaters is that they take a long time to theat up, and once they heat up they will stay warm without much hydro, so it is best not to turn them on and off ykwim?
I am spoiled with my woodstove, and very lucky that my dh chops wood for a second income, free heat, we have not turned on our furnace in four years, even when it is -35.

Before that we would just run heat in the room that we were in.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Ours have been on for a month already. It's set at about 68 F and you should see the layers of clothes my grandma's wearing. I could set it a bit lower but we don't want grandma to walk around wrapped in blankets.
She'd put two shirts and a vest on the kids if we let her dress them. My family's from the subtropical area so everybody thinks Canada is soooo cold.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
:
I relate to this statement very much

We industrialized humans are so spoiled with our climate control

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
My house thermostat is set to 65, that is usually good for us, but occaisionally I'll turn it up to as high as 68 if my nose is cold (I'm not walking around my house in a ski mask)

I will use a small space heater to heat just the room I'm in sometimes too.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Slippers amd socks make a huge difference, I joke that I put on a turtleneck in October and keep it on til May. What gets me cold is damp and as it has been poring steadily for two weeks now here in the rainforest we have been using the woodstove at night. Keeps the damp off. my outfit at this time of year is wool socks, cotton underwear - wool if it is freezing, turtleneck, turtleneck wool sweater with zip at neck in case I get too hot and aliays something on my feet. We use an oil filled space heater in the livingroom for morning if it is not cold enough for wood heat and heat no other rooms in our house at this time. I have arthritis in one anke and can't move it if it is too cold!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
We turned our heat on about 5 or 6 weeks ago. We had an early cold snap, which really dropped the temps. in our house. We set the thermostat at 52 at night and 62-64 during the day. I told Dh that I need it a bit warmer than he prefers to keep it. I have a hard time warming up once I get really chilled, and my hands and feet really ache. Because of that, we turned our heat on earlier than we might otherwise have done.

We wear sweatshirts, long-sleeved shirts, sweatpants/jeans, socks/slippers, turtlenecks, etc. to help up conserve heat. The Dc sleep in warm pjs and have multiple layers of blankets to keep them warm during the night.

When we're gone on trips we keep the heat as low as 45, just warm enough to keep everything from freezing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts