Mothering Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,943 Posts
I live in an apartment with a separate heater in every room. I only keep the heat on when we're using the room, and we wear long sleeves or sweaters, flannel pants, thick socks to bed or loafing around the house, but I don't get stupid with keeping the heat off in the bedroom at night. It's probably around 65F, maybe 68F. I think I turned on the heater in late October for the first time.

I have a little ceramic heater, too, and I'll put that in the doorway of the bathroom if I want to take a bath. I've also used it if we're in the living room watching tv, if I don't want to turn on the heat in there--there's only one switch for both the living room and the dining room (all one big room, actually, but two heaters).

I'm not used to having to pay for heat...in NYC, heat and water are usually included in the rent, and you're at the mercy of your landlord. The last apartment I had in Brooklyn, I had to keep the windows cracked unless it was really cold. My neighbors on the top floor in the exact same apartment were cold all the time. I much prefer having some control, but I wish I didn't have to pay for it!

· Registered
382 Posts
Well, I'm feeling pretty wimpy right now. Our thermostat is set at 68 for when we are home, although dh keeps bumping it up to 70 and then I get used to that. It is supposed to go down to 65 at night, but since he stays up late he gets cold, so then he comes and bumps it up again after it has passed the reset time and then goes to bed w/o setting it back down again. Of course, this is also the same man who in our first apartment would set the AC at 72 and then pull a blanket over himself.
I think I'm fighting a losing battle.

· Registered
3,889 Posts
We have only had our heat on a few times so far. Usually I turn it on if it is going to be 40F or less at night outside. I have it set to 59F, but I am pretty sure the thermostat is off, because it feels much warmer than that (like 68F). If it is 55 or above, I turn the heat off and open a few of the windows a bit to air the stale house out! Heating oil is so expensive, we try to keep it as low as we can tolerate.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.