Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSCF3115.JPG

Our little girl Tusca, 6lbs 15 oz was born at home yesterday morning after 12 hours of labor. She was born on her duedate! What a crazy intense experience. So much harder than I ever expected! Such a blessing to be at home.

I have been really happily (should I say anxiously) awaiting her since 38 weeks. She was breech before that, and after a lot of strife and tears we ended up having a successful version. Since then we have been doing everything to get ready for labor . . . sex sex sex, acupuncture and walking or hiking every day. Still I was expecting her to be at least a week late so there were tons of things left to get ready. I guess I was a little superstitious,, if I had everything ready she would take her time coming.

June 2 we had our midwife visit. I had been having cramps on and off for a week but they started to get more regular that day. We went to the zoo and walked up tons of hills. We took a nap and then when I woke up the cramps were different. They were more in my back and around every 3 to 7 minutes. I ignored them and we went to Home Depot for faucet adapters. While there I noticed I was pretty wet, yet ignored it, As time went on I realized I broke my water. It kept coming and coming and it smelled like amniotic fluid. I didn't tell dh for a while bc I didn't want to get his hopes up, lol.

Anyway at this point I realized we were in labor but I still psyched myself up to think it might be two more days at least.

We went to the grocery store, did laundry, cleaned up and got the house ready for labor. We still didn't set up the pool!

At around 11 pm we went for a walk on the beach. That really did it! Rushes got much stronger so that I had to fall on my hands and knees into the sand during them. Dh was amazing this whole time, lightly rubbing on my back and slow dancing with me. We got back home they started to really pick up and we called the midwives and told them what was going on but that we didn't need them yet. I got into the shower, which helped tremendously until the hot water ran out ten minutes later, lol. It felt like rushes got stronger or changed every ten minutes ! I could barely wrap my head around them. Now the only place I felt like my head would stay fastened on was in hands and knees position on the bathroom floor! The sensation during the rush was so overwhelming it made me puke.

I woke up dh who had been asleep for an hour. At this point I was saying stuff like "help me". He called my mom who talked him through the moment. The midwives arrived around 3:30am. At this point I wouldn't even leave the bathroom to come talk to them. They coerced me out of there for an exam and told me I was 8! In my head I was thinking I was still 4 and if so they would have to drop me off at the nearest ER, lol. I asked my midwife to repeat the number four times bc I didn't believe her, Dh started to fill up the pool. I begged them to let me o into the bathtub, which they didn't want to let me do for some reason. I sat on the toilet during this time and started feeling the uncontrollable urge to push. I knew it was time but they checked me again and told me I was ready. I got into the bathtub which was SO MUCH BETTER. I loved pushing in the water.

The pool was finally ready and I got in. I love, loved loved it. It made pushing such a positive experience, I finally felt present again, and we were having fun :)

She moved down for me really easily and started to crown. The midwives listened to her heart beat which had slowed down since her head was squished. I knew she was fine, Bu they wanted to get her out so I stood up to deliver her head. I was so pissed about that, I could feel burning in my urethra and knew I would tear there in this position. Then they had me step over the edge of the tub so I could deliver her body. I had to push pretty hard but she came out! Very surreal.

Overall it was so much harder than I thought it would be. So so hard! I wish she had been born in the water and that dh could have caught her. But we couldn't have asked for a more peaceful or empowering experience. We were so happy to be able to be at home. She is an amazing and calm baby, a wonderful breastfeeder. We are so in love.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow - another due date baby. Glad to hear that the water was so soothing as I'll be going that route for the first time soon enough! Congratulations on your little baby girl!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Congratulations! What a great birth story! Thank you for sharing. Your baby girl is totally adorable. Enjoy your time together!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congrats!!! I have always wondered what it would be like to have a labor like that where you are just walking around knowing you are in labor but still have time to get stuff done. Mine are so wham bam. Great story! Inspires me to go walking, if my spd would let me, sounds like its what got you going.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Congratulations! What a wonderful story! Sounds like you handled things amazingly.
smile.gif
She is so precious! So, did you tear as you anticipated?

I've always loved your handle and avatar! What a precious thing to have to remember your days of anticipating your little one!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I did have a little tear and some skids up above. But I feel AMAZING and now that it is all over I am totally over the moon : ) Good luck to everyone and sending you beautiful birthing energy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.