Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're a TV-lite family, so we would never spend much on a TV. We got a pretty big TV with a dresser we were buying, it was a Craigslist deal. I think it's like 38 inches (huge for us, bigger than I've ever had before) and not a flat screen. Weird thing is, it's an older model and the only input is this infrared remote control panel. That thing, like, broke. There's no other way to input info to it, either on the back or front. We took it out and got a much smaller version that is now our TV. I'm not really bothered by it but DH would prefer the larger one back. How much does it cost to fix those infrared things? It is HEAVY so I can't just take it into a shop for an estimate. I'm thinking of selling it for cheap on Craigslist to whoever wants to get it out of here, but if it's an easy fix I'd rather get it fixed and keep it for our own use.

Phew, that was convoluted. Anyway, so should I try to get it fixed or sell it? What's the better deal?

·
Registered
147 Posts
TV's are super expensive to fix, generally.. it's almost always cheaper to buy a new one than fix an old one. I had a large TV that my parents gave me when they got a new one, and a couple months later the picture tube blew out. It was only 2-3 years old. It would have cost several hundred dollars to fix. So I got another slightly smaller screened TV off Freecycle.. a couple months later it broke. UGH! So I just made due with a 13" for a few years.. it was terrible, though, I tried to freecycle the old TVs over and over and no one would take them. I had a 13" working TV sitting on top of a non-working console TV in front of a non-working 32" TV. I felt like the center of a Jeff Foxworthy joke... Anyhow they don't make TV's like you're describing anymore, so my best guess is, there's no way to fix it that isn't going to cost major $$$.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.