Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't posted on mothering for a while, but I'm grateful to have this place to return for advice --

I became a single parent early this year, and have my little boys (7 and 3) basically around the clock. At this point they are generally badly behaved in public and not that great at listening, It feels like they fight non-stop, and I have to drag them around to get boring errands done since I have no childcare. We live in a place that requires lots of driving for the smallest things.

Anyway, when we're home, I feel I am constantly letting them watch the iPad or movies just so they will 1) be quiet 2) not fight 3) be occupied so I can get technical things done like balancing check book, researching scholarships, reading, planning, etc.

I feel their bad behavior is partly caused by whatever screens are doing to their brain. But honestly I am so exhausted and so overwhelmed that I don't know how I could survive without this habit. After being a single mom for some time now, I would describe it in this phrase:

"Always one step behind."

That's how it feels to be a single parent, in my opinion. Help? Anyone manage it without dumping the kids in front of a screen to get some breathing room?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It's definitely easy to resort to ...I did for a time and I only have my 8 year old girl at home...
I unplugged the tv about 2 months ago...we hardly miss it...
I agree with you on the tablet time seemingly making kids grumpy and ill behaved after a bit...my girl has been on hers pretty much nonstop since school got out...she discovered Sonic and Angry Birds...she steadily got testy,rude and belligerent...this is very unlike her 😡
I just cancelled her Amazon Freetime for the summer and put the Kindle up...took about a week but she is back to reading her books, playing and being her old sweet self...
I am a firm believer now..

Do you have a park you can take them too? I understand how you feel..I get that "funk" feeling a lot...lots of hugs for you ❤

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Eh, there are so many other things for little kids to be doing. A puzzle, a box of crayons, playdough and building blocks and books can teach your child so much, too. Maybe cut back on some of the tech?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a single mother too, but my daughter is too young to be affected by TV. I can tell you, though, that this is entirely not a single-parenting issue. I know many parents that can't control their kids in public, all their children want to do is play video games, and watch TV, or YouTube videos. Everything is so full of hate and violence, that it no wonder that the kids won't listen to their parents. My nephew is attached to his tablet like it was breast milk. He won't move anywhere without it, he won't change his clothes because he is in the middle of a game, but he is always in the middle of a game...
I know it doesn't help that much, but it's also important that you don't beat yourself up for this, it's not your fault. Kids do all kinds of things when they're young, and i believe it will get better when they are older.
:hug

·
Registered
14 Posts
engage them into sports. or encourage them to learn a new language instead of just games and non sense videos. my daughter is just 15 months and i do not plan to let her be on screen for a long time. for now, she is watching baby sign languages and it is amazing that she learned a few. one monitor is she doing action, one monitor for my online job. but when she is watching nursery rhymes or signing time, i make sure to engage her to dance as well. we both make hand action like insy wincy spider and sing together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts