Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else prepping rigth now. dd put out her shoe and the baby's booty
and filled them with carrots and hay for st.nicholas' donkey, now both are in bed. im painting some walnuts gold last minute and about to put the presents out. i got the girls the clemintines but instead of chocolate coins i wanted to do honey sticks...but couldn't find any anywhere
oh well.

: can't wait til tomorrow morning!!

· Premium Member
4,791 Posts
DS and I put our shoes out tonight before bed. I know he won't really "get" it, but he put his own shoe out, and I can't wait to show him what arrived tomorrow morning! I put a pair of leg warmers and a little matchbox car in his and a pair of socks and a small piece of chocolate in mine. What a fun tradition!

· Registered
90 Posts
We made cookies shaped like St. Nicholas today and brought them to church tonight where we had a service and movie about the Life of St. Nicholas. We shared our cookies and put our shoes out. I filled them with bags of chocolate coins and put our our family gift of Nativity figures (I can't find the one we got, but it only had the figures of the Holy Family).

· Registered
1,880 Posts
The girls put out the shoes (well, 1 girls sneakers, 1 girl winter boots) and they put their baby brothers out also.... i'm just waiting now before i go to bed - cause luck would have it if i did it now - someone would wake up!

· Registered
225 Posts
DD #1 and I put out our shoes (filled with carrots and apples) by the back door tonight. We made sure to leave the light on for St. Nick as well. We used a pair of wooden shoes that I had gotten as a child and DD and I polished them up with some beeswax and left one shoe for each child. I just finished putting out their small gifts and gold coins. In the morning, we are going to MIL's to decorate cookies...just to make the day even more special!

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
We have our shoes out and filled-- coins for the coins St. Nicholas left, handmade barley sugar candy shaped like St. Nicholas, candy canes (on another thread, a mama reminded me they were for his bishop's staff) and new toothbrushes to go with the candy.
The baby actually got a pair of new Robeez with Gingerbread Men on them.

We had our co-op Advent party today and they played a St. Nicholas game, and tomorrow we'll make a special breakfast together and read our St. Nicholas book.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
the girls put out their felted slippers and i just filled them with oranges for each, wee folk, gnomes, a gingerbread cookie for each and a piece of chocolate. i am going to put quarters in each slipper too in the morning...i forgot and am just going to bed now..

· Registered
1,580 Posts
Well, over here St. Nicholas actually pays a visit...so there is lots of excitement and anticipation at our place right now. He should arrive just after dark.

ds has to sing him a song and tell him a little poem and then St. Nicholas will tell him the positive things he's noticed about ds and a few things to "work on". He will then give him a Santa bag full of whole peanuts, clementines, gingerbread and a couple pieces of chocolate.

It's a sweet tradition, but it requires quite a bit of organizing. I think I'd prefer if it were just about putting out shoes.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
my girls are in love with their little wee folk and treats...such a happy morning!
my 3 year old was especiallyl excited, woke up at 4am asking if nicholas had left anything yet...
i was able to get her to snuggle down with us until 7 when big sister came downstairs too excited to speak...

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts
I'm doing this one day late
:
I had a class until really late last night, and just didn't get it together. I figure the tradition is important not just the day, so I am going to fill boots tonight. We have a day of gingerbread making planned for today, and gingerbread house decorating tomorrow, so it will be a special weekend anyway.

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
:
I had a class until really late last night, and just didn't get it together. I figure the tradition is important not just the day, so I am going to fill boots tonight. We have a day of gingerbread making planned for today, and gingerbread house decorating tomorrow, so it will be a special weekend anyway.
That's the best part about kids-- they have no sense of time! Sounds like a wonderful weekend.

· Registered
21 Posts
We actually have a little ds named "Nikolas," (2 1/2) so this is day is special because it's his name day, too! We put out his shoe last night and in the morning he was very excited to come downstairs. We made 2 improvements (in my mind) over how the shoe is presented from when I was growing up - one is that I put tissue paper in his shoe, because there was something always kind of icky about pulling treats out of a musty shoe, and the other is that St. Nikolas lit a candle by the shoe to show that he was there - really illuminated the whole scene. Next year, I'm going to incorporate the suggestion I read about to leave hay and carrots for the donkey. He'll love that!! Thank you!

· Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

:
Us too. I've lost all sense of time with the new baby, but love all these ideas from you ladies which I get to use tonight

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Awww, I've loved reading the accounts of everyones events!

Quote:

:
Sounds great, it doesn't matter so much about the exact day.

My daughter is doing it at school and because of the timing, they won't be getting their filled shoes until tomorrow or Tuesday. Though, They did bring them in and polish them last week. We've also had our school fayre this weekend.
I know that they are getting dried fruits, Chocolate coins and wee straw decorations.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I was really hoping to have us each a pair of wooden shoes to leave out this year, but man they are expensive. We forgot to leave something for St. Nicholas and ds was the only one who left shoes out. It's just been crazy busy here lately.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.