Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post, and I am very happy to have found this community. I did attachment parenting, and have tried to use gentle discipline, which can be challenging with an adhd, spd kid. I struggled a lot with finding my son the right school, which was very, very difficult. We found a school that actually helps him, so I'm very happy about that. But even among his special needs peers, my son seems to stick out socially. It isn't just his adhd and dyslexia. My son has trouble empathizing with others, being able to fully say what he means, has trouble articulating, and is just out of sync with others. As I said, he knows kids who are also "out-of-sync", but they can somehow still engage in conversation, they text and email each other (my son butchers any attempt at communication - he'll make weird jokes no one gets or say something negative that shuts down a conversation). But he craves and wants friends.

When he was younger, I managed to become friendly with other parents and make playdates for him and help him get some socialization. But at 12, kids are choosing each other, and aren't going to playdates just because their parents arranged one with someone.

My son does see kids that he likes outside school, but I see a troubling trend and wanted to see if anyone else is going through this and what they have done to help their kids. Is there anything I can do to help him become more socially engaged? Does anyone have a child who has difficulty engaging others?

Thank you so much for reading and for any thoughts you may have.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
You might look for a social skills class or support group. My DD did a class at that age (which we paid for) and it was helpful. It was designed for kids with high functioning autism, but appropriate for kids with ADHD or other mild special needs that had a social impact.

I found the class by doing an internet search on "social skills class" and the name of our city.

I would also talk to his advocate at school about what they can do to support this at school. Some schools have "social skills groups" that are run by the social worker and are very helpful.

Have you asked him what his ideas are for how you can help with the situation?

Reactions: MyFillingQuiver

·
Registered
530 Posts
We found our social skills class through the center where my daughter does OT. That center incorporates social skills into the regular OT by guiding the kids through a lot of interactions in "the big room" as they do their individualized OT stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Linda and Letitia! I did have my son in a social skills group when he was younger, but they didn't really address social skills, funny enough. After your suggestion, I looked again and I see that there are other groups in my city that may work out better.

I hope that my son's deficiencies can be addressed. I think it's so important for people's success, happiness, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts