Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas~

I am wondering how much weight you gained with your twin pregnancy?
This is week 27 for me and I have gained about 42 lbs. I've been feeling fine about my weight and feel I'm eating pretty healthy, focusing mainly on protein and water intake. I posted this question to the other multiple mamas due in Oct 2006 and it doesn't seem too far out of line.

My midwife hasn't said anything about weight. Today I went and saw the OB that will actually be delivering the babies (my midwife will be there as a doula). I don't know the OB very well because I have only seen her once. She is willing to do a collaboration with my midwife and now I will be seeing her every other visit. Today she commented on my weight gain and told me to really watch the carbs and sweets...without even asking me if I've been eating a lot of them. Anyway, I got a little freaked out. I really want to go with how my body feels and I trust my midwife's opinion since I have seen her so much more. (I will be calling her tomorrow to discuss it.)

I was just wondering if my weight gain is way out of line with other twin moms. I gained 50 lbs with my single daughter. We did live a little too close to a dairy queen at the time, though. Thank for your input.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Congrats on your twin pg! As far as the weight gain, it sounds fine. I mean, if your bp and sugar levels are okay, you're feeling good, etc., you sound great! I have no idea how much total weight I gained with my twin pg. I shot to gain 24 pounds by 24 weeks because of a book about twin pg I read talked about how important early weight gain is with twin pg. Once I gained the 24, I was happy and stopped asking. I will tell you that the last belly measurement taken of me was 52 inches!!!
:

I'd get a copy of Barbara Luke's book (I think that's the one. I'm sure other mamas will chime in here) and present a copy nicely to the OB. Say something like, "I've highlighted a few parts of this book that I wanted your input on." That way, maybe it won't be confrontational to your OB, but the point to not fixate on weight gain will be made.

HTH! Keep growing strong mama!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats on your twin pregnancy! In my opinion, you said you were making sure you were taking in protein and water,
awesome. Dont worry about the rest. Your babies need all they can get.
By 25 weeks, i had gained 33lbs. So you are doing better than I did. I gained a total of 53lbs. My girls weights were 4'9 and 5'8 born at 35w 5d. So as long as you are taking in enough water and protein and the babies are fine, then I say great job, mama.
Take care of yourself and your babies.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will tell you that the last belly measurement taken of me was 52 inches!!!
:

How big were your babies Baileybunch?

My measurements at the end was 45inches around. WHich to me was big because with my single boys I only got out to 40in around. I am also only 5'2 so being that far out, my stomach look like a torpedo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello!

I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago. I am 29 weeks today and at my appointment 2 weeks ago, the OB said that my weight was "alright, but getting on the high side" Based on Dr lukes book, at the time she said something, I was about 4 pounds over my exact target. As of today I am closer to 40 total pounds and honestly, I am mostly worried about vitamins, water, and protien since those will keep the babies in. The OB can worry about my weight all she wants....I am not!

Good luck!
Tassy

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was told it was normal to gain about 50 pounds for a twin pregnancy. I only gained 23 pounds for mine however. None of the doctors were worried as the boys always measured good or big at ultrasounds. They were born at 36 weeks 5 days at 5 lbs 13 oz and 6 lbs 3 oz.
Congrats on your twins and if I can give you any advice it would be.., GET SLEEP NOW!!!!!! (lol)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsr4me
I will tell you that the last belly measurement taken of me was 52 inches!!!
:

How big were your babies Baileybunch?
They were both a little over 7 pounds only. I got big around with dd1, too, even though my weight gain wasn't huge with her. I think it has something to do with my build? But at your height, I'd say 45 inches around was a sight! I know I was comical and I'm 5'7''.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The belly measurements are just flooring me. I am only 5 feet tall. Can you imagine ME measuring 52 inches around? I will look like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after she turns into a blueberry!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Dont' worry about the weight. Eat what you need to eat to get your protein, nutrients and WATER.

I gained 80 lbs and was BELOW my preconception weight by the time the babies were 3 months old. (They nursed so much I had trouble keeping the weight on at that point.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileyBunch
They were both a little over 7 pounds only.
That is excellent weight for twins. great job!

I got big around with dd1, too, even though my weight gain wasn't huge with her. I think it has something to do with my build?
Yeah, I dont do pregnancy well either. I gain alot with my pregnancies.
But at your height, I'd say 45 inches around was a sight! I know I was comical and I'm 5'7''.

Yes, it was definately a sight to see.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody
The belly measurements are just flooring me. I am only 5 feet tall. Can you imagine ME measuring 52 inches around? I will look like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after she turns into a blueberry!

That's funny. I'm not that much taller and my stomach looked like a torpedo. My sister and I were only a couple of weeks apart but she was pregnant with one and me, two. So it was funny to see the difference between us. Anyways, just concentrate on water, protein and rest.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsr4me
[/B]
Yes, it was definately a sight to see.
A BEAUTIFUL sight, I'm sure! I hope you took my saying that you were a sight with the warmth intended, and not as a criticism. I was gorgeous pregnant, even though I wasn't one of those tiny pg bellies. I know you were, too!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I can't remember the exact weight I gained but it was in the area of 60 lbs. The awesome part was that I lost 48 of those lbs. within 2 weeks of having the girls! I think that even though I was very careful to gain a good amount of weight (used Dr. Luke's guide) that they still used a lot of my own fat reserves to grow. My girls were 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 7 lbs. 1 oz. at 38w3d. Oh, and I'm not sure what I measured around but I do know my fundal height was 52 weeks at 38 weeks gestation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I gained nearly 60 pounds with my twins. From my research, I learned that it is good to try and gain the weight as early on as possible because the further along in the pregnancy you get your weight gain with likely plateau.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I only gained 28lbs
my twins were born at 34wks 6days @ 4lbs 7ozs and 5lbs 6ozs. I didn't know I was having twins until 18wks and had gained 0lbs at that point. Definatly try to gain your weight early. I'm 5' 0" and filled up quick that last couple of months I could barley eat anything.

My mw's told me I should try to gain 50lbs, I was overweight before I got pg too

·
Registered
165 Posts
I gained at least 70 lbs with my twin sons, maybe a few more but I kind of stopped keeping track.
:

I think quite a bit was water weight too, it was at the end of July when I gave birth at 38 weeks. They weighed 7lbs 10oz and 6lbs. I lost it all really quickly actually, I think I lost 50 lbs in about 3 months. The last 20 took more of an effort.

I think you are doing great, and keep up the good work!
-Di

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom
Hi Mamas~

I am wondering how much weight you gained with your twin pregnancy?
This is week 27 for me and I have gained about 42 lbs. I've been feeling fine about my weight and feel I'm eating pretty healthy, focusing mainly on protein and water intake. I posted this question to the other multiple mamas due in Oct 2006 and it doesn't seem too far out of line.

I'm SO glad you posted this!! I am about where you are as well (I'm 25 weeks and have gained about 35 lbs). In fact, I was admonished by my OB for the weight I gained
:

And Dr. Luke's book has been GREAT, so I've been feeling a bit better.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm 34 weeks and have gained almost 60 pounds. It feels like a lot, but it is pretty much all in my belly. And I'm happy to say my twins are measuring large for singletons (5-1/2 pounds each!). I, too, followed Dr. Luke's recommendation to gain a lot of weight early on. (As a caveat, however, I found a lot of her book somewhat more medical than I would have liked: for example, instead of starting bed rest at a certain week, I have listened to my body and rested as necessary, and I am comfortable to not be delivering at a hospital with a Level III NICU.)

I do hope my weight starts leveling off sometime soon -- because I'm huge! I've gotten stretch marks this pregnancy, and didn't with my son. Of course, I only gained 30 pounds with him.

* Jaime

Griffin Alexander (6/27/04)
Twin Boys (9/19/06)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts