Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first what do you do about frusteration? i know its partly cause he doesnt get very much (if any) milk and he gets frusterated. my sister reccomended trying to nurse him when he is only a little hungry to reduce the screaming. well i tried this and it didt work. he still gets frusterated.

second how do you know when u get a clogged duct? my breasts are sore. i tried pumping today and got nothing. does that sound like clogged or did i just redry up again? if it sounds like clogged then how do i fix them?

im so confused...
:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm not sure of the details of your situation, maybe you could tell us a little more...

When I had a plugged duct, I could feel a little lump. It was tender around that area, and I definitely got less milk from that side when I pumped. But, I did get some milk. I don't know why you aren't getting any milk when you pump.

How old is your baby? Sorry, if I'm not much help...

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my boy's almost two months but was formula fed for a month to a month and a half cause i got sick. now i am trying to restart my breastfeeding. i pumped 1/2 ounce today then a few hrs later noticed i was a little sore. i thought pumping would relieve the pain but nothing came out and i only got more sore so i stopped. i would be nursing him but he gets way to frusterated, even with a nipple shield. i assume its cause he doesnt get much if anything. i do try to get him to the breast as much as possible without making him think the breast equals hunger and anger and frusteration. i pump as often as possible and take fenugreek (which i started last night and think that how i pumped 1/2 oz.)

·
Registered
922 Posts
are you able to see a LC? They would be able to tell you definitely about the plugged duct. Do you feel engorged or full on that side? I don't know much about relactating...Hopefully you can see a lactation consultant.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
change your nursing position for a clogged duct. make sure your baby's chin is over the clog. wearing underwire can make it worse.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
It does sound like his frustration could be because of the situation you've described--your supply is low and he isn't getting as much as he is used to. Probably coupled with the fact that it is a different kind of action to get milk from the breast than from the bottle.

It sounds like you are doing a lot to build your supply and are on the right track, just keep on chugging.
Persistence is key right now. Chelsmm mentioned an LC and I think that's a good idea because she could give hands on help with positioning and latch-on. We have IBCLC's in our area who run a support group at the hospital that anyone can attend, and where I lived before there was something similar. So it wouldn't mean a lot of money, if any. Not sure what you have tried in this area, so just throwing out suggestions.

If you are getting milk while pumping, maybe you can use a supplemental feeder of some sort while you are breastfeeding. Like an SNS or a periodonal syringe with the flexible end. Maybe the flow of milk could help get him interested in staying at the breast longer.

When I had a clogged duct, it was painful in one area, and it got more hard and more painful until my whole breast practically hurt, but the pain was mostly in the area of the clog, I just think that touching other parts of my breast moved it enough so I was feeling the pain of the clog. You can try warm compresses and combing the hard area with you fingers or a comb. I really had to work on it some days, and it was painful as I started manipulating the area, but it got desensitized to it. Eventually the clog would clear up. I've also read that lecithin supplements can be good for that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viola

If you are getting milk while pumping, maybe you can use a supplemental feeder of some sort while you are breastfeeding. Like an SNS or a periodonal syringe with the flexible end. Maybe the flow of milk could help get him interested in staying at the breast longer.

You can try warm compresses and combing the hard area with you fingers or a comb.
Do you mean taping the SNS to the breast so that baby is sucking on the breast and the tube? I've heard that can help motivate a baby, even if it's filled with formula, the baby learns that he is going to get full at the breast..

I second the warm compress and hand combing. And getting professional help. Hang in there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.