Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 - does your toddler give a constant running commentary on what they are doing? "Owen go this way" "Owen get green car" "Owen go with you" "Owen be right back" "Owen eat cereal".... I just want to make sure, because grandpa that lives with us seems to feel the need to tell us everything he is doing all the time, and I'm hoping ds isn't picking up the habit from him!

#2 - saying "huh?". He just started this a few days ago. He now answers half the things we say to him with "huh??" and we have to repeat it. He has always had stupendous hearing ("listen! airplane!" - we'd stand around puzzled, then finally hear a tiny buzz and see an airplane fly into view. It was weird!). I did clean his ears with debrox, since his ped has always said he had gunky ears. Didn't know if it was something new and normal, or if I needed to get him checked out!

TIA!

Lesley

·
Registered
322 Posts
#1 My dd used to add her name to most sentences but it has tapered off to only adding it to now and then (she'll say, "Lee's turn" -instead of 'my turn').

#2 Do you know anyone who says, 'huh?' alot? Your dc might think it is a funny thing to say therefore uses it often.

I think a grandparent being under the roof could contribute to both questions. I'm guessing that there are three adults in your home (you, partner, and grandparent) and therefore your dc hears his name quite a bit from all three of you. Maybe when your dc speaks to his grandfather the grandfather's response is, 'huh'? because he can't understand what dc said.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My Ds doesn't say much but he definitely says "huh?". He has said that for a long time. It's constant. It's so cute though b/c he gets this little puzzled look on his face. I know he can hear great so it's just something he's doing for whatever reason.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by owensmom
#1 - does your toddler give a constant running commentary on what they are doing? "Owen go this way" "Owen get green car" "Owen go with you" "Owen be right back" "Owen eat cereal".... I just want to make sure, because grandpa that lives with us seems to feel the need to tell us everything he is doing all the time, and I'm hoping ds isn't picking up the habit from him!

Sounds like my DS, and there's no grandpa here. I think kids have such a tremendous need to practice language that they just can't stop themselves. I think I read somewhere, too, that kids often do this when they're with their parent(s), but not so much when others are around. And I've noticed that at home my DS does this but not at playgroups, etc.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Not only does Cole provide a running commentary about what he's doing ("Cole is eating!"), he provides it for all of us ("Mommy is eating! Daddy is eating! Grammy is eating!" etc.) He will name everyone in the room and say what they are doing, it's like he's counting heads, lol. It's OK when it's at the dinner table, not so great when I'm in the bathroom. "Mommy is sitting on the toilet!" he announces. Um, yeah, thanks kid.

He does the "green car" thing too, as in "Cole has a green car! VVVVRRRRRRMMMMM!!" He will repeat it until someone acknowledges it - "I see, you have a green car!" To which he replies, "Yup!" :LOL It's pretty cute, though repetitive. I always just assumed it was just something kids did, to practice language and help connect with the people around them. Let's face it, their conversational skills are not so hot at this age and they are just working with what they've got, lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Not only does Cole provide a running commentary about what he's doing ("Cole is eating!"), he provides it for all of us ("Mommy is eating! Daddy is eating! Grammy is eating!" etc.)"

Oh yeah, we get that! 'Owen pooping, and mommy pooping, and grandma pooping, and daddy pooping,. etc'. :LOL

"Maybe when your dc speaks to his grandfather the grandfather's response is, 'huh'? because he can't understand what dc said. unfortunately, grandpa usually doesn't here him at all!

·
Registered
399 Posts
This is great because dd has started refering to herself in the thrid person. My favorite is "Amanda do it", when she wants to do something herself. Just the other day someone commneted on this and implied that it was strage for her to refer to herself that way. But it seems completely normal to me.
As far as the narrating of all activites. We are not there yet but I see it coming. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Not only does Cole provide a running commentary about what he's doing ("Cole is eating!"), he provides it for all of us ("Mommy is eating! Daddy is eating! Grammy is eating!" etc.) He will name everyone in the room and say what they are doing, it's like he's counting heads, lol. It's OK when it's at the dinner table, not so great when I'm in the bathroom. "Mommy is sitting on the toilet!" he announces. Um, yeah, thanks kid.
LMAO! Ellerie does this too. She also tells everyone that they poop. LOL.

She also says "huh?" and her new favorite question is "What are you doing mommy, daddy etc.? What are you doing?"

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
When my oldest DS was littler, DH would explain things to DS (First we do this....then we do that...) and DS would answer with "Oh!" to everything. DH was just commenting on that the other day, can't wait to see if Aidan will too, because it was so darn cute!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
We call it Stream of Conciousness (sp?) talking. She seemed to say whatever she noticed, whatever she did, WHATEVER! But I loved it b/c I could see into her world. The "huh" thing drove my dh crazy! She would esp. do it if we said something she didn't want to hear ("time for bed" or "clean up" or "no cookies right now"). It's not as bad now, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts