Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Mama's out there that have adopted two unrelated children at the same time from Guatemala? Is it essentially like doing two completely seperate adoptions? Any advantages to doing two at once?

Sarah

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
On our visit trip we had two couples adopting two at once. From what I understood it is like 2 seperate adoptions if they are not biologically twins. The advantage of getting two at once is you only need the one homestudy and if you can double book your visit trips you can save money there also.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I also know two couples who have done this. Yes, it is like two separate adoptions. There is no "bulk discount".
The only savings is not having to do a second homestudy (which is just about the cheapest part anyway.) The paperwork on each child will come through separately, at different times, and the two families I know had to make separate trips (rather than making one child wait several months for the other one to be available.)

That said, both families are quite happy with their decisions. One family adopted "virtual twins" where the children are about 2 months apart in age. The other adopted an infant and a 2 year old from different birth families.

Our agency does have sibling groups available sometimes if you are interested in adopting older children (older than infants, that is.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the paperwork for a sibling group come through at the same time or do you risk them being ready to come home at different times with biological siblings as well?

Thanks!
Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts