Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter used to go to sleep at 7:30 or 8 every night, and she would be tired! I could carry her into the crib and she would happily jump in and roll around and go to sleep. IT WAS AWESOME!<br><br>
For the last two months, she's wanted to stay up until 9:30 or 10 at night. And she gets really active around 8. Last night I brought her into the guest room to lay down in the dark and chill out, and we were there for an hour before she fell asleep. She talks, and kicks, and rolls around...she's just not tired, I don't think.<br><br>
She only takes one nap a day, from 11-1. Do you think I should eliminate the nap? I love naptime. But I don't understand why she's so alert at night now. She also learned how to climb out of her crib on Thursday. So I guess this is another transition?<br><br>
Any advice, welcome.<br>
Heather

·
Registered
716 Posts
can't say for sure b/c i haven't got the experience, but we are going thru the same questions right now with our 30 month old...i just posted in the nighttime parenting forum regarding our situation, btw.<br>
ds will now not go to sleep until around 9 or 10 if he has a nap of ANY LENGTH at ANY TIME OF DAY. if there is no nap, he's SUPER TIRED and goes to bed as early as 7 (tonight, 6:45). and he'll sleep approximately 12 hours. if he naps, he's lucky to sleep 9 b/c he gets up at the same time regardless. and he is usually a total NUTSO the next day who refuses a nap, pulls the dog's tail, drinks out of the dog's bowl, fights diaper changes, etc...<br><br>
my plan is to try at least a week of no napping and consistently early bedtimes to see how he does. he unfortunately gets tired in the afternoon, but i'm thinking that with good activities planned and carrying out the process for at least a week, it'll become his new routine?!?!<br><br>
good luck! i feel like i'm surrounded by people who think that children must have naps until their 5 (like my mom!). i just don't believe it when i see how napping now affects his nighttime sleep. you have to do what works for your child!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts