Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even close to ready to waste wool yarn yet.... my dog just attacked the yarn I was working on (knitting in the round, had like 5 or 6 whole rows finished. :LOL) and now it's a big mess that's never gonna be workable... good thing it was cheap.<br>
Anyway, I've seen so many kinds... 2ply, 3ply, Lopi? Then all the other stuff... I know what the 2 and 3 ply mean, but what are the pros and cons of each for soakers? And what is Lopi??? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Well, if you don't have a local yarn shop (as you've stated in other threads), you could see if your local fabric/craft stores carry fisherman's yarn. Where I live it's $7.99 for one skein which makes about 3 soakers. The only color they carry here is cream (think Aristocrat) so it offers many possibilities in dyeing.<br><br>
Otherwise, I think the yarn you're asking about is the stuff from fabriconnection, which I haven't had the opportunity to try yet. I think I've heard the 2-ply works well for soakers. She doesn't give much information on her website about gauge or anything, which is why I haven't bought any yarn from there (to be quite honest). I don't think the number of ply matters - it's more the weight (worsted, bulky, etc.) that matters.<br><br>
To get a good education on yarn, go to <a href="http://www.halcyonyarn.com" target="_blank">www.halcyonyarn.com</a>. They have everything listed by fiber or weight and you can see from the pictures what the yarn looks like. I haven't bought anything from them but I've heard great things about them. Their selection rocks! But look at the different weights and the gauge for them. That's where I got my education on yarn lingo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts