Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

I had an u/s two weeks ago at my ob's office showed that I am having a boy. Because I am over 35, my ob recommended that I have a level II as well.

Well, I just came back from my level II ultrasound at our local health center, and the doctor there said that it's a girl!

Has anyone had this happen before, or had the u/s tell you one gender when it's actually the other?

·
Registered
702 Posts
How far along were you two weeks ago? I've had it happen but it was the other way around. LOL I was around 20 weeks with the first u/s & 41+ weeks with the second. I'd go with what the doc at the level 2 u/s said just because they do a whole lot more u/s than anyone else. Did he point her girl parts out to you? Was it clear to you it's a girl? How about the last u/s?

Shannon

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Wow! I would have a big dilemma on how to decorate a nursery! I've heard that they can make mistake with a girl but boys are pretty accurate - since you see this part sticking out.

On a serious note - can you ask for 1 more u/s in a few weeks? I am sure if you tell your OB the story he would want to look by himself.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well it's pretty easy to mistake the umbilical cord for a penis from what I hear. They need to check to see if there's blood flow to that "part" they're seeing, believing it's a penis, & they'll know for sure whether or not it's the cord. More than likely that's what they saw the first time & mistook it for a penis.

Either way, congrats!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had this happen with ds. I was 20 weeks when I had my first ultrasound. They told me that he was 100%girl. Well, I didn't have another ultrasound until 35 weeks and he was most definitely a boy. And this was after we had had the babyshower. I had to take everything back, I mean everything...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My OB showed us girl parts with DD, but still said his disclaimer that U/S isn't 100%. With DS, it was obvious the way he was positioned. We tried peeking at this one several weeks ago (as part of U/S, not specifically to determine gender), but OB said nothing was developed enough to judge if parts would turn out to be one or the other. My Level II is a few weeks away, I hope baby grows a lot and lets us get a good peek!

I would tend to believe the later U/S for that reason- that baby is bigger and so are key parts. Either way, congratulations!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts