Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you doing for history at a second grade level? We've tried SOTW last year and was son just wasn't into it. I'm leaning towards a much simpler US History curriculum this year rather than focus on world history. However, I'm having a hard time finding a secular program for this.

So, what do you guys introduce at the 7-8 year old age regarding history, world or US? I'm not sure where to start at this point as to whether we should try to finish what we started with Story of the World last year or just start fresh with US. I hate not finishing a curriculum, but I'm also afraid to attempt it again since it bombed for us. Everyone seems to enjoy it except for us lol!

Also, any good ideas on any great secular programs for history, either world or US (besides SOTW of course :))

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We do our history through graphic novels, historical fiction, and biographies. Thanks library! We have a set of Value Tales biographies from my childhood. I think they're a little cheesy but DS likes them and chooses them often. Child-led works for us in this subject.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I am an unschooler...so take this or leave it...

I am a history lover. We live in NJ ssoo I do drag my kids to historical place. So that started my 6yr wanting to know more about American revolution. So we watch Liberty Kids. (you can get it on Netflix)

I think that if something is not working then you put it aside. So I would start with the Native Americans then work my way from there. I might start doing this myself.

Sorry that I don't know a good program. :grin:Sorry for the mistakes. My 3yr is all over me.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
2-3rd grade is when ds started loving 'you wouldn't want to be a....' series. They are fun, short, packed with tidbits of info books and the library has almost the entire series. Just order and wait. Covers world and american on a kid friendly level.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=you+wouldn%27t+want+to+be+a
I also threw in some life skills of map reading and starting to learn the states. We had some awesome license plate looking flashcards that had tons of facts on the back.
http://www.amazon.com/Nifty-Plates-Fifty-States-License/dp/1933662824/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438628255&sr=8-1&keywords=nifty+plates+from+the+fifty+states

My kid was a total trivia sponge. Things like that were great for us.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
SOTW didn't work well for us either.

What I did last year for early american lit (also second grade, but we started halfway through the year) was basically read up on a bunch of lit based curriculum while making note of their book lists, then cleaning out that section at the library.

We started with the vikings and just let them pick a bunch from the nonfiction section. We'd read a book, then I'd have dd drawer or color a few pictures about important points and write a couple of sentences about it, then we put it all together in a binder so we could flip back and review it. I also printed out some paper dolls for her to color and play with, while talking about the clothes they wore and why, etc. If you are interested, I know we read Leif the Lucky by Ingri d'Aulaire and the Magic Treehouse book-Vikings Ships at Sunrise. We did a lot with Native Americans as well. She really liked reading about Pocahontas, then watching the Disney movie, then talking about the differences and why they might have changed things.

We are going to start with the American revolution soon and will that Magic Treehouse book and the Felicity American Girl books to start. For me, I think it's more important that kids are interested in the time period, not necessarily that they remember everything or get all the important dates, etc right off the bat. My kids really just respond better to a lit and art based approach as well.

If you want an actual curriculum written out, the Bookshark one looks promising. you have to search for the specific book on the website, but you can purchase just the teacher's guide for the history part instead of buying the whole package-I think it was $80.00.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
As Charlotte Mason homeschoolers, we just did much of the same as @greenemami by taking a living-books approach and got library books about the Vikings and other early explorers, Jamestown, Massachusetts/Salem Witch Trials, and the Revolutionary War and the many events leading up to it. The Magic Treehouse had a great book on the American Revolution. We also made a "timeline" by posting pictures and dates of historic milestones all around the dining room wall. Field trips are a must. :)

ETA: All of this was for my second grader.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Here is what we have done in early elementary.

For world history/cultures, we pick a different country each month. We get some books from the library, minimally including a book about the history of the country and a book with at least one folk/fairy tale from the country. We also try to get a dvd that shows us that country. Our favorite series was Families of the World. At home, we read the books, do some map work (find country, identify continent, borders), learn about any landmarks, watch the video, and make a craft and/or food item from the country.

For US history, we looked at different time periods and found lots of hands on activities to do. We look at how the people lived during those times rather than focusing on battles/wars. I don't ignore the wars, but it isn't our focus. I have found lots of historical fiction for US History and we read a lot. We also go to local history museums, and any other museum that has a US history component. In our town, we have a local history museum of our town as well as a museum that has an exhibit that focuses on local tribal history. We make the use our of travel as well incorporating landmarks, museums, and cool landforms to enhance our understanding of history.

We have also had success with some unit studies: Ancient Egyptians, Christmas Around the World, etc.

Amy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts