Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Interesting link, LI. With 30% unknown vax status, the percentage of cases in vaxed persons could be as high as 93%. Also, the median age of 22 is interesting.

???Does anyone know whether mumps outbreaks in the past couple of decades have tended to have similar age characteristics? (i.e. median age in early 20s)

???Help me decipher the medical jargon at the bottom: IgM+, Mumps virus isolated, and PCR+

·
Registered
338 Posts
I still just don't get why people get so hyped up about the mumps.

I had the mumps at age 4.

It was the worst case the doctor had ever seen.

I lived.

I just wish more time would be spent on real killer diseases, like cancer or AIDS, instead of whipping up a feeding frenzy over a silly mumps outbreak.

Marie

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marieandchris View Post
I still just don't get why people get so hyped up about the mumps.
I think it must be that one in a five hundred gazillionth babillionth chance of mump-induced sterility.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yequanamama View Post
Interesting link, LI. With 30% unknown vax status, the percentage of cases in vaxed persons could be as high as 93%. Also, the median age of 22 is interesting.

???Does anyone know whether mumps outbreaks in the past couple of decades have tended to have similar age characteristics? (i.e. median age in early 20s)

???Help me decipher the medical jargon at the bottom: IgM+, Mumps virus isolated, and PCR+
The UK uses the same crappy mumps vax strain we do in the US, and they've been having an "ongoing epidemic" for years with the disease burden in that same age group.
It's called an "epidemiological shift", and it's generally a phenomenon that's attributed to less that ideal vaccine uptake. (it's a cornerstone of the "everybody has to vax for herd immunity to work right!" mentality.)
Of course, as we're seeing here with Mumps, a less than ideal vaccine can have the same effect.

Last spring, the CDC was estimating that the vaccine was only 70% effective (and possibly as low as 50%) but Merck is allowed to continue advertising that one dose is 98% effective.
Needless to say, it's a quite confusing situation to people who take vaccine manufacturer's word on good faith regarding vaccine effectiveness.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Oh, and :

IgM= immunoglobulin M
(you can take a blood sample from someone you suspect of having Mumps, and if their mumps IgM is elevated [immunoglobulins are antibodies], it's fairly certain they've had mumps very recently)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IgM

Mumps virus isolated= generally means found by PCR nowadays, although "isolated" was an ambiguous term for decades that meant all kids of vague things.

PCR= Polymerase chain reaction
A very accurate test for actually finding viruses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCR

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Mumps popping up again at colleges (10/06): http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...MPS_S1.article

The number of mumps cases reported at Wheaton College reached 83 this week, the college said.

Another college in Illinois with 30 cases as of 9/06:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=4601559

"That's always the concern when there's so much unknown about the mumps, and you hear about Wheaton College, and the health department's looking into how our student could have contracted it," said Mercy Robb, Benedictine spokesperson.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The title of the article should have been Mumps, Chumps and Fantasy Island. These people who write these articles must really feel we are chumps to believe such ridiculous information. Instead of cying out "the plane, the plane" all we hear is "the mumps, the mumps" or "the flu, the flu."

Anyhow, I go back to the points I always make when others ask me about vaxes. I say vaxes are poisons and vaxes don't work. This usually catches people off guard but they have their life to live and I have mine so I don't have time to mince words.

Quote:
People who receive the MMR vaccine may still be susceptible to the three diseases. In a recent study conducted by scientists from the Direct Health 2000 clinic in Eltham, South London, half of all children vaccinated with MMR were found to have "zero or very low immunity" against measles and mumps. According to Dr. Sarah Dean, who oversaw the study, "This means there could be a lot of children who think they have got the umbrella protection" yet remain at risk

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1523523.stm

Hmm...
Well, it appears they were probably telling the truth about mumps, at least. Which isn't a big deal, since mumps is a very, very mild illness.
Measles not so much, though. And if it's true that the measles component generally stimulates low levels of antibodies, that could be very, very bad, as low levels of antibodies can make viral infections worse than none at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts