Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm 9 weeks and had my first OB appt and an early u/s today. I felt conflicted because I didnt really want the early u/s but felt pressured into it by the nurse, doctor and DH who wanted to see the baby.  Doc said healthy baby, good heartbeat, could see the umbilical cord, but he also saw a large cyst on my left ovary, told me not to worry and that they would monitor it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So of course now I'm worried...  will it go away, will I have to have more u/s to check on this cyst.  I wasn't even planning on have the early u/s.  Part of me feels like if I hadn't had the u/s in the first place I wouldnt have know about the cyst and it would just disolve on it's own and I wouldnt be needlessly worrying about it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone else have a cyst in early pregnancy that went away?</p>

·
Registered
434 Posts
<p>With my daughter, an early ultrasound showed what they thought was a fibroid in my uterus---they sent me to get a higher grade ultrasound and it had "vanished." Either they saw it wrong, or it actually vanished, but I think some ovaries are just more cystic than others. I know mine are normally...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They may just keep an eye on it, and hopefully it does go down. Thinking good thoughts for you!</p>

·
Registered
434 Posts
<p>p.s. If they tell you not to worry, you probably don't have to worry...normally doctors won't hesitate to concern you if something is really worrisome. </p>

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
<p>It could go, it could stay... there isn't usually a lot of intervention for an ovarian cyst during pregnancy.  They are so common and tend to come and go for some women - and usually without them ever knowing.  I am sure they will want to do another ultrasound to check it but if it is not causing you any pain and is not getting bigger (which your doctor/midwife should be able to tell by palpation if it is big) then everything will proceed as usual.  I am sure you will be just fine!!!</p>

·
Registered
79 Posts
<p>I've had a progesterone cyst with two of my pregnancies that showed on early u/s. (think that's what they call it) There wasn't one this time, I had the u/s at 7 weeks (I'm almost 10 )</p>

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
<p>Ovarian cysts in early pregnancy are extremely common. It's called a <a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovarian-cysts/DS00129/DSECTION=causes" target="_blank">corpus luteal cyst</a>. They usually go away with no problems.</p>

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
<p>i have a friend who had one and had surgery to remove it.. she was fine, the baby was fine, everything was fine.. so that's your worst case scenario-- and the surgery was no big deal for either of them.  although i have read that they frequently and most always go away on their own and it's pretty common, i think if it was really of concern to your doctor he/she would have told you.. try to not worry! </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts