Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got pregnant with DD after two days of forgetting to put a new NuvaRing in. When I realized I'd forgotten I went and got the Morning After pill (NOT RU486, but the thing that's just like a super-strong birth control pill - mostly just because we figured we were too broke to have a baby yet
). Well, that embryo was obviously already implanted or somehow resisted the hormones...

My mom and sister and I were talking and we thought we ALL must have super-strong fertility somehow.... my sister got pregnant once on the pill and once right after stopping it. My mom got pregnant with me immediately after my sister was born, and while trying to do the "breastfeeding as contraception" thing. My grandma (mom's mom) has two daughters who are less than a year apart, and my great-grandma also did, and her mom had 14 children in all!

Does anyone else have this, ahem, blessing running in their family?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I know many people who get pregnant on the pill. I have all kinds of infertility issues and I still manage to get pregnant, several women in the family EASILY get pregnant in their late 30s and early 40s when most women's fertility decreases. Odd.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by akmbloom
I got pregnant with DD after two days of forgetting to put a new NuvaRing in. When I realized I'd forgotten I went and got the Morning After pill (NOT RU486, but the thing that's just like a super-strong birth control pill - mostly just because we figured we were too broke to have a baby yet
). Well, that embryo was obviously already implanted or somehow resisted the hormones...

My mom and sister and I were talking and we thought we ALL must have super-strong fertility somehow.... my sister got pregnant once on the pill and once right after stopping it. My mom got pregnant with me immediately after my sister was born, and while trying to do the "breastfeeding as contraception" thing. My grandma (mom's mom) has two daughters who are less than a year apart, and my great-grandma also did, and her mom had 14 children in all!

Does anyone else have this, ahem, blessing running in their family?

I think so.
My daughter was ONE missed birthcontrol pill. I also had one miscarriage and I swear I didn't miss the pill. This time, we decided to have our baby. We then stopped the pill and I used natural BC methods (the pill was rasing my BP.) Natural BC worked, and when we quit, we got pregnant the very first month of trying to have a baby without birth control.

My grandmother was preggers some 7 times and averaged a pregnancy a year (she lost 4 of her babies in miscarriage.) My grandfather fianlly got a snip job.

Her mother (my great-grandmother) had 12 children.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've been pretty fertile, but I don't know if it's a family thing...

See, my mom had secondary infertility after I was born. She had tests, laparoscopy (which was a very new thing back then) my dad wore boxers (I only know because laundry was my chore, I didn't make the connection until YEARS later) and mom charted her cycles. Finally she got pregnant with my sister when I was 6, and had another baby 18 months after that. When my youngest sister was 7, she got pregnant again, and had my "baby" brother.

My Grandma on the other hand had 5 kids in comparatively quick succession, and her mom had 5 or 6...

I am going to give all the credit to my mom making me eat all those organic foods and take all those vitamins when I was growing up!

My Dh is an only, but his parents both come from families of 4 kids.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
yep, my family is super-fertile too- all of the women in my family have had kids in their 40's (surprises) going 3+ generations back. My great-grandmothers all had over 6 kids and some had twins. No one I'm related to has ever had a C-section either.

We all have very regular cycles and I know I got pregnant the first time we didn't use a condom

It seems very logical to me that fertility would run in families just like any other trait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts