Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to make a long story very short,
NOV-elect not to renew my insurance policy because I am financially strained and not using the coverage
LATE JAN-find out I am pregnant
FEB-denied ability to enroll in insurance out of open enrollment because pregnancy is not a "life changing event" (WHO KNEW?)
MARCH-denied coverage through state of Indiana (where I did live) because I made too much money to possibly need help obtaining medical care
APRIL & MAY-denied by many clinics because I do not meet their poverty standards/denied by regular offices because I could not pay fees upfront, but told they would not do only certain procedures (i.e. ultrasound/bloodwork) without performing the entire array of testing I couldn't afford, and didn't deem necessary. Decide to move to Chicago to be eligible for Moms & Babies program, to start prenatal care-instructed by several of the offices I talk to in these months to just "wait till you get to Chicago and start care then."
AND denied by several midwives because I'm too far along
JUNE-move to Chicago, start app for Moms & Babies, denied by clinics because I am too far along without prenatal care to receive services at their office

I am a pedicatric RN by trade. Have been able to do some of the testing/monitoring needed in the prenatal period, but obviously have no access to ultrasound and blood testing by myself. NOW I'm about a month from delivery and have received no care and have no providor, no hospital, no options. I have been strongly considering UC, but would prefer to have at least a DEM present for my added piece of mind. I have been told by most of the clinics I have talked to that my best option is the ER. I know how they see and treat women with no PNC in the ER when admitted for birth. I do not want decisions being made for me.

Does ANYONE know of a DEM in Illinois/Chicago area?? OR have other suggestions? I'm desperate, please help.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think I might put together some forms showing the monitoring that has been done. As an RN, I would think you'd be qualified in the eyes of the medical establishment to take blood pressure readings & read urinalysis strips.

You could still go to a clinic for blood type & factor, maybe a GBS test, so if you did go to the ER, you wouldn't have antibiotics forced on you uneccesarily.

Have you looked into maybe a family practice doctor?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Yes, there are DEMs in Chicago area. There is a yahoo group, ILFAMFORMWS (IL families for midwives), where you can probably find some contact info on DEMs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought it was the ODDEST thing in the world to be denied prenatal care, for being 'too far along'! That alone nearly sealed my decision to UC...

You may also find some more support in the Illinois 'Tribe' forums. I got a beaming referral for a chiro within 24 hrs of asking my local 'Tribe'.

Hang in there mama!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
A month from delivery...yikes.
could you pay a midwife anything right now? i mean..this close to delivery, payment would probably be requested right up front. or are you looking for someone who takes this mom and baby coverage? is it like medicaid?
i am in north central IN, and there are a couple great homebirth midwives here but..well..they do generally require payment fro their services. Would coming over this way for the birth be possible? They are pretty great and might take you even this far along.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
What about a doula to help with labor support? With your medical background and the fact that you can always go to the ER *if* there is a problem a UC might be a decent option. I have long hard labors and really need someone to get me through, but not necessarily a medical professional.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had the same problem, well sorta when I was preggo with dd.

My doc I had been seeing up to 6 months then "fired" me because I revealed that I was choosing homebirth. After that, I tried to get another doc and 4 docs later was told the same thing by all of them, 1 they couldnt take me cause I was too far along and 2 they WOULDNT take me because I was choosing home birth!!! I was so ticked, I wanted to do right by my babe and be sure she was fine and that I was low risk and couldn't get anyone to do anything anymore! I came on here an ranted about it and the ladies gave me lots of encouragement. I feared about her being in the right position so I wanted an ultrasound and they reassured me the baby is always changing positions so an ultrasound cant tell if the baby will be in position on delivery day. I also had no risk factors so I was low risk. I prepped in every way possible for a home birth and was ready for it.

Dd was born at home on Sunday afternoon in the presence of her daddy, big brother and grandma (who also got to catch!) on the bedroom floor. What a beautiful moment it was for all of us..

We are expecting another this Dec and he will also be born at home, I am opting to do my own prenatal care this time around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.