Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a childbirth instructor yesterday, who said that every midwife she has spoken to, says the fundal massage is nessesary after childbirth.

I was wondering how many people who have had a UC have or haven't done this. Did you do it to yourself? Did DH/DP do it for you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Although you asked for UCers, I'll post in spite of having hospital births - I think my experience applies.

I am assuming you excluded hospital experiences in your question due to the prevalence of syntocinon immediately during/following baby's exit from the birth canal. I had this prophylactic injection only at my first birth.

For babes #2 and #3 I refused the injection. Fundal massage was not required at either of these births, although the nurses frequently checked for firmness - fully satisfied with the results.

3 months ago, I had twins (yep, that's babes #4 and #5!). I refused prophylactic syntocinon, feeling that there is time for drugs if hemmorhage occurs. I had indicated a threshold of 1000ml blood loss prior to drug use, since blood loss is higher in a twin pregnancy given the larger placental site.

So in this birth, fundal massage was implemented very soon after the placenta came out. The doctor showed my sister-in-law how to do it (she accompanied me as a doula). I do not think I could have done it properly myself as it was rather uncomfortable. I spent the whole time wishing she would stop and fairly having to concentrate to not push her hand off me, just because it hurt. Therefore, I doubt I would have pushed hard enough to be effective. She could tell easily if she was massaging evenly enough over the uterus to have the desired effect.

This continued for 45 minutes during which doc checked me several times and removed soupy clots from one area at the back that just refused to firm up. Since there was no progress on this one area after 45 minutes of massage, I did agree to syntocinon and hemabate. That stopped the bleeding quickly.

I was OK with taking the drugs at that point because nursing and fundal massage weren't working and I felt we had given the more natural route a good long chance to do what it should. I had lost an estimated 800ml of blood. Although this was lower than my planned threshold, my decision made sense to me because the rate of blood flow had not diminished at all during the 45 minutes of massage (ie. It would pick up if the massage stopped for a few seconds, but was at a lower, but persistent rate during the entire period of massage).

Based on my personal experience, I would say that fundal massage is not always required. But it is certainly a valuable skill that you and/or hubby should be prepared to administer at your UC.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
It's not really necessary if you've had a totally unhindered birth and 3rd stage. You'd probably get much better UC related responsing asking in the UC forum or searching it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm a UC'er for this next babe, and in my last two hospital births I never had fundal massage.

Why would the childbirth instructor think it was absolutely necessary for every birth? I thought it was only if there was excessive bleeding????

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaRabbit
You'd probably get much better UC related responsing asking in the UC forum or searching it.
:

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I think this is one more thing to add to the list of "better to do to everyone than on individual cases". Everyone in the hospital seems to get it. it's easier for the nurse to do her rounds quickly if she does it to everyone as opposed to assessing the situation.

When my sister found out about our plans to UC with DD this was her big concern. It was just one of those things that never really seemed horribly important to me.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Quote:
I was talking with a childbirth instructor yesterday, who said that every midwife she has spoken to, says the fundal massage is nessesary after childbirth.
That's ridiculous. I've given birth four times, twice with a midwife and twice unassisted, and have never had it done. So obviously it's not always necessary. I suspect it's probably only extremely rarely necessary in an undisturbed birth, and I do not at all agree with the practice of doing it routinely.

And actually, some midwives believe that a light stroking is often as effective as the deep kneading some care providers do, and it seems that women tend to do that instinctively to themselves when their births are allowed to be autonomous and undisturbed.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
no not necessary I had it done in hospital births because that is the routine and not in my home or UC birth-- and I don't routinely do it for our moms-- as fourlittlebirds has said a light touch can do the trick-- mom and baby left to interact with each other-- don't get on the cell phone please-- best way to contract the uterus after birth--- in a severe hemorrhage not massage but a firm grasp-of the uterus would work -

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
another CCE, who's also had UC's

Fundal massage is only necessary (IMO) if/when the uterus is feeling boggy. If it's tight and contracting as it should, leave it be. I don't think it's bad (except for the discomfort for the mom and the insistence that it is done, always) to do it, more of a preventative thing from the caregiver's perspective.

I honeslty don't remember that part of my UC births. Dh says there was no uterus fiddlings (expect with the last, my idea because of the slow to expel (AKA retained) placenta.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I had pitocin and fundal massage after my first (hospital) birth. It hurt like hell. After my UC, I didn't do fundal massage, and I bled less and had no problems PP. I didn't cut the cord until after birthing the placenta, and had a placenta smoothie afterwards to lessen bleeding/PPD.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I think it's important to look at fundal massage from a UC persepctive, rather than what midwives do in their practices or what hospitals do.

I think it would be a rare thing for a UC mother to be sitting there, enjoying her baby, doing whatever she wants to do, and then feel compelled to start pressing down painfully on her abdomen over and over and over.

·
Registered
468 Posts
after my hospital birth, no fundal massage, no pitocin, and everything was fine.

after my uc, no fundal massage, no pitocin, and everything was fine. i did check to make sure my uterus was nice and firm, and was prepared to do it on myself if it wasn't, but it was, so i didn't. :)

i wonder how many midwives your childbirth instructor spoke to?

christina

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I didn't do any fundal massage for either of my UCs and after my second UC I experienced a moderate post partum hemmorhage (ugh I can't spell that word!). "Fundal massage" didn't even cross my mind at the time. I imagine that if one did want to they are not going to cause themselves near the amount of pain an attendant might.

eta: I did check to see if I could feel my uterus and it felt as it should be. Didn't mess around w/ myself after that lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.