Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So today is my one year from being diagnosed with melanoma. It's been a long roller coaster of a year for sure and at times I wasn't even sure if I would still be here now let alone being here and being pregnant! Anyway... today I get called by my OBGYN's office and I didn't think anything of it although I had just spoken to them. By the title you know I had abnormal cells in my pap smear but they also told me I was HPV positive. What??? Today of all days they tell me this? They tell me I don't need to worry. They are just going to do a colposcopy to get more info but they won't do a biopsy since I'm pregnant. Did I say ugh? I've been down the "don't worry it's nothing" road before. Hopefully this time they are right. Of course this is nothing like getting diagnosed with melanoma but still. Don't I have enough to worry about? Has anyone had a colposcopy before? I had to have them doing procedures on me while pregnant but I also don't want to mess around with cancer. Catching things early is way better than the alternative. Which reminds me keep an eye on your skin and see a dermatologist about any changes. If I had gone in right away my melanoma would have only been stage 1 instead I chalked it up to being a normal pregnancy related change. But I digress... :) Thanks for letting me vent and my inadvertent melanoma psa. :)</p>

·
Registered
154 Posts
<p>An HPV call can be scary, I know, but here's the thing.   The VAST majority of HPV gets resolved on its own, especially if you're taking care of yourself.   My dr. said it's kind of like the common cold - it can turn into something worse, but if you're sleeping, eating right, taking vitamins (omegas!), then it will probably resolve.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it doesn't, it will be a slow change - you will not develop any beginnings of cervical cancer in the next few months.   They can deal with this after your pregnancy is over.   I would research and ask more questions about messing with the cervix in pregnancy.   I had a colposcopy years ago when I had HPV - it came back fine, and wasn't painful.    But I wasn't pregnant so I didn't have to worry about my cervix holding a baby in.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, stay on this, get second opinions, but know that you will likely resolve this on your own.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>be well :) </p>

·
Registered
220 Posts
<p>So sorry to hear this!  Like the PP said, HPV is like the common cold of the lady parts....BUT I know how stressful it can be to receive any news like this when you are pregnant.  Never had a coloscopy, so no help there.  But you are in my thoughts and prayers.</p>

·
Registered
48 Posts
<p>Like you said, you've already heard "don't worry" before but this time please don't worry ;). I've dealt with HPV and abnormal pap smears for YEARS. I've also had a couple of colposopies and one LEEP procedure (where they remove a portion of the cervix that has tons of bad cells). HPV is a virus that causes abnormal cells to develop on the cervix. A cervix is continuously creating new cells. A colposcopy is a very simple procedure and not something to worry about during pregnancy (and trust me, I worry about EVERYTHING!). It's almost identical to a normal pap exam except they will just use a large q-tip to clean the cervix (I think with just water), then they will use another q-tip to put a little vinegar on the cervix, and then they will use a light to look at your cervix. If there are abnormal cells, the vinegar will be absorbed by them and the doctor can tell where and how spread out the cells are. If you weren't pregnant, they would use a little tool that looks like a long, narrow pair of fingernail clippers and remove a very small portion of the cervix (only on the surface) to test to see what "grade" it is (basically how close to turning into turn cancerous cells, since most cells are just pre-cancerous). If the results of the biopsy were particularly bad (and you weren't pregnant), you would come back in and they would remove a portion of the cervix (LEEP) and have it tested to see if the borders of the sample had healthy cells all around it (so there wasn't anything left) and if there were bad cells inside the core of the sample (I think all abnormal cells start at the surface of the cervix). Cervixes grow back pretty quickly. My doctor said that most everyone doesn't need more than a colposcopy and that many times if you just re-check someone 3-6 months after a colpo there is normally very little change. It takes YEARS for pre-cancerous cells to turn into cancerous cells in most cases, and you should be completely fine throughout your pregnancy so long as your are monitored. I think, if I remember the number correctly, that 70% of patients with abnormal cells that aren't in the latter grade stages go back to normal with no treatment (because the cervix is continuously making new cells, it's just the virus that changes them and once your body's immune system starts fighting the virus it won't change many if any). After I had my LEEP procedure, I had repeat pap smears every 3-6 months. Mine tend to be clean for several paps in a row, and then when I have a yeast or urinary tract infection the cells come back. Other than the LEEP when I had my first abnormal pap, I haven't had to have anything besides colpos and the occassional biopsy that never came back bad enough for another LEEP. With monitoring, it tends to clear itself up and I've gone up to 1.5 years with no abnormal paps.</p>

·
Registered
48 Posts
<p>Like you said, you've already heard "don't worry" before but this time please don't worry ;). I've dealt with HPV and abnormal pap smears for YEARS. I've also had a couple of colposopies and one LEEP procedure (where they remove a portion of the cervix that has tons of bad cells). HPV is a virus that causes abnormal cells to develop on the cervix. A cervix is continuously creating new cells. A colposcopy is a very simple procedure and not something to worry about during pregnancy (and trust me, I worry about EVERYTHING!). It's almost identical to a normal pap exam except they will just use a large q-tip to clean the cervix (I think with just water), then they will use another q-tip to put a little vinegar on the cervix, and then they will use a light to look at your cervix. If there are abnormal cells, the vinegar will be absorbed by them and the doctor can tell where and how spread out the cells are. If you weren't pregnant, they would use a little tool that looks like a long, narrow pair of fingernail clippers and remove a very small portion of the cervix (only on the surface) to test to see what "grade" it is (basically how close to turning into turn cancerous cells, since most cells are just pre-cancerous). If the results of the biopsy were particularly bad (and you weren't pregnant), you would come back in and they would remove a portion of the cervix (LEEP) and have it tested to see if the borders of the sample had healthy cells all around it (so there wasn't anything left) and if there were bad cells inside the core of the sample (I think all abnormal cells start at the surface of the cervix). Cervixes grow back pretty quickly. My doctor said that most everyone doesn't need more than a colposcopy and that many times if you just re-check someone 3-6 months after a colpo there is normally very little change. It takes YEARS for pre-cancerous cells to turn into cancerous cells in most cases, and you should be completely fine throughout your pregnancy so long as your are monitored. I think, if I remember the number correctly, that 70% of patients with abnormal cells that aren't in the latter grade stages go back to normal with no treatment (because the cervix is continuously making new cells, it's just the virus that changes them and once your body's immune system starts fighting the virus it won't change many if any). After I had my LEEP procedure, I had repeat pap smears every 3-6 months. Mine tend to be clean for several paps in a row, and then when I have a yeast or urinary tract infection the cells come back. Other than the LEEP when I had my first abnormal pap, I haven't had to have anything besides colpos and the occassional biopsy that never came back bad enough for another LEEP. With monitoring, it tends to clear itself up and I've gone up to 1.5 years with no abnormal paps.</p>

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thank you ladies. I'm starting to relax about it now. I might as well not start worrying now. I'll ask for my lab results. Having more information always is better for me. Thank you BeryHappy for all the details. That helps a lot!</p>

·
Registered
146 Posts
<p>Ditto on everything beryhappy said. I've had HPV, colposcopies and biopsies. They are only slightly uncomfortable and very quick. My last one was in Feb and they only found slightly abnormal cells. I was told to come back in 6-months but haven't since I've been pregnant. My midwife said I should ask my GYN if he thinks it's necessary to get another pap before I give birth. ...but she also said to wait till the 2nd trimester. Honestly, I think birth will change the cervix so much that I may as well wait until after.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You're in a very common situation. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts