Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting this off because I am awful at making purchasing decisions.

But I *have* to get my birth tub ordered. My midwife has an aquadoula that she loans out, but the rental cost is basically the same as the purchase of a new, smaller inflatable one. The aquadoula is a bit big for the space I need it for in my bedroom, and I think I would prefer the inflatable anyway.

SO...that being said...I just went ahead and bought the La Bassine. I'm shortish and it's deep enough for me, I don't care about extra handles, and I feel better about the 100 gallons vs the 170 for the aquaborn that I was considering.

The accessories are just overwhelming. My midwife has a pump, but all the hook up stuff...ugh.

· Premium Member
4,539 Posts
Yeah, that's why we decided to rent one... I didn't want to deal with all that crap. And I especially didn't want my partner focusing on setting it up while I needed him to be focused on me, you know?

Can you practice setting it up before the big day? Maybe get a MW or doula to help/walk you through?

· Registered
2,318 Posts
I think most of the hookup things you can purchase at walmart or a store (on the cheapside) that carries pool supplies or waterbed supplies.

I have looked as well, and since I am familiar with the pools and waterbed stuff, most everything I see looks the same.

· Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Yeah, that's why we decided to rent one... I didn't want to deal with all that crap. And I especially didn't want my partner focusing on setting it up while I needed him to be focused on me, you know?

Can you practice setting it up before the big day? Maybe get a MW or doula to help/walk you through?
Oh, the set up I'm not worried about at all. Dh has looked at it all online and says he can set it up in about 5 minutes (and I believe him, he's good with that stuff), then just fill it. We have a big hot water tank, I'm not concerned about the set up (I will inflate it and air it out for several days though, I don't want to have to pump it up again).

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I have a La Bassine, I love it. It's been used for three births so far (one of mine and two of my sisters) and we let our kids splash in it in the basement every so often.

All you should need is a fill hose with an adapter for your faucet and an air pump. Our biggest challenge was finding a reasonably priced pump for emptying the but if your midwife has one then you won't have to worry about that. I never bothered with a liner for mine, it was pretty easy to clean afterwards.

· Registered
581 Posts
I remember having to deal with this last time! And I decided to rent... shelled out $300 to rent it and than ended up not using it a whole lot (had to transfer to hospital). Makes me wish I had bought one and than at least I could use it once in a while and maybe even rent it out! This time I am lucky as my midwives bring one with them, set it up and take it down and it's included in their homebirth fee. I think they even bring it a head of time so you have it whenever you go into labor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.