Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boys have been in school only a week and they came home with a flyer yesterday that said the flu is going around the school. There were 7 kids out in DS1's class! Could be swine flu, but no one has tested yet that they know of. UGH! What a time for sickness to be making the rounds!!!

I wouldn't care, but I remember when DS2 got bronchiolitis at 3mos old. I've never been so scared in my life!

So... Emergen-C, gummy vitamins, washing hands often, what else???

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Yuck.

Okay, I tend to overreact, but if I got a note like that right now I'd keep my kids home at least till after I have the baby.

I hope you all stay healthy.

· Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Yuck.

Okay, I tend to overreact, but if I got a note like that right now I'd keep my kids home at least till after I have the baby.

I hope you all stay healthy.

Me, too. If it weren't for the pregnancy, I would keep them in school. But I think you have a darn good excuse to keep them home!

· Registered
2,279 Posts
We got hit with it a couple weeks ago here- dd (7) was hit the worst, needed suppositories to quell the gastrointestinal part, and the respiratory bit is still lingering, but ovall it wasn't terribly devastating. It also hit DH and DS- though not so sevely. I was tired for a couple days, but it really didn't hit me hard at all- apparently I have the Super Immune System while pregnant.

I know it's worrisome, but I'd just make sure the kids were washing hands and changing clothes as they came in the door.

· Registered
492 Posts
I'm worried about this too. School started last week and we all have cold already. The kid who sits next to DS was out yesterday (day 4 of school). I realllllly don't want anyone to get sick right now

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a swine flu outbreak at their school in May, and we kept them out for about a week then. It was kind of torturous. They knew school was in session, and there were a bunch of fun activities going on for the end of the year. UGH.

If I thought it were a short-lived thing, I would probably keep them home, but flu season seems to start at the beginning of the school year and keeps going til the end! I think I'm just going to have to be extra cautious!!!

· Registered
594 Posts
I'm praying my daughter who started Kindergarten this week manages to refrain from bringing anything home this winter. Tall order, I know.

We both had a crummy cold about three weeks ago. I was taken aback by it and got more diligent about giving her her vitamins C & D and probiotics. She's pretty good about washing her hands often. Her school sent home a letter that they were being extra cautious about germs, too.

Not much else I can do. I wouldn't keep her home unless she, herself, was sick, or if the majority of her class was out sick themselves.

You can run... but you can't hide!

· Registered
533 Posts
Look into Elderberry syrup as an immune booster (for kids and adults).
I always have either homemade (not this year - I did not travel to Europe, and just did not have time to buy here locally and to prepare it), or Sambucus (by Nature's Way)... there is also Sambucol and SambuGuard, check what you can find and see if you like it.

It is an amazing antiviral/antibacterial fighter

Also, Manuka honey (active factor), is a must...

(there are other ways, too, but these two are sometimes overlooked)

· Registered
3,150 Posts
Dh just got the call he has the flu. He has been sick for three weeks. He developed a secondary respiratory infection and has been on abx for 4 days. I am hoping ds and I do not get it. ARGHHH!

· Registered
2,957 Posts
hipmummy, I hope he's better soon and nobody else gets sick!

I just want to make it through pregnancy without getting sick. Think I can hold out till Friday?? (That's if the baby even comes by then. *sigh*)

· Registered
5,916 Posts
It's going around here, too, but what I'm seeing so far is short-lived. Several of my coworkers have been describing one day of feeling "bubble-headed", one day of feeling like crap, then a recovery day.

Frankly, I'll take that! I'd rather get it NOW, get it over with before baby's born, and have some immunities for the fall/winter. Maybe, just maybe, this is a precurser strain to the seasonal flu strains that will circulate, and maybe it will give us a leg-up on the seasonal flu as it comes around.

· Registered
883 Posts
Just geting over the flu now..it was short lived, but man, what a wopper. I am just glad that I can lift my head off the pillow again. I sure do hope for your sake that the kids don't bring it home...keep them washing hands a lot and it wouldn't hurt to have them change when they get home either. And it probaby wouldn't hurt to take proactive measures as far as their/your immunities go. There were some good suggestions above. I will add coconut oil...you can sneak it in without suspicion into oatmeal inthe morning.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
Mine starts tomorrow. I am so nervous about making it to the end of the month without this dang swine flu. I can't seem to cough very well. I guess my diaphram has shifted or something... don't know if that is common in pregnancy. The last time I had the flu, I was very sick for over a week. Gah! I can't keep her out for a month... or for a whole winter for that matter. Why am I not homeschooling? Oh that's right because I was just saying how awesome the schools are, and my daughter LOVES school. I think we will be getting the flu shots this year... not that it's even an option for her. It's required for day care/preschool/kindergarten kids to get it here. We can't pick and choose,can only opt out for religious reasons, so she must have it.

· Registered
456 Posts
I'm taking massive C and echinachia because my 3 year old has a cough, cold and fever. Flu is going around here, and who knows what he's got but I don't need it still in the house when the newborns are here. If it is it is and we'll deal. I'm guessing I'm giving birth in 2 weeks or less so I'm hoping it's a simple cold and NOT the flu.

· Registered
5,916 Posts
And now Connor is sick
Maybe.

He was acting "off" all day yesterday, not enough to identify anything being wrong, but just enough to say "what's up with him??" Then last night he was coughing all night long, very restless in his sleep.

This morning he woke up coughing with clear nose drainage.

No fever yet, at least.

It *could* be that we've had all our windows open, even at night, the last several days since it's been cooler out. Any change in weather effects his sensitive airway really quickly. So there's a chance it's just some irritation...

But he's probably getting sick
We'll see where this goes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.